My new Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
A couple days ago I got myself a pleco, since the lfs didn't have any otos. I believe he's just a common pleco. Really dark. ?He's about 2 inches as well. When I placed him in the tank, he just sat there for about an hour. Didn't move. Then he moved a couple times, and sat again. Then moved a little more, then disappeared. Haven't seen him since then until this morning. I was looking through the side of the tank along the back wall, and there he was, just loving life. He then saw me and disappeared again, can't find him again, lol. At least I know he's alive, lol. I did acclimate him for about 25 minutes as well. Hopefully his shyness will go away and will come out on occasion so we can see him on the glass or the driftwood. But the short time I saw him, looked happy as can be.

Congratulations on the new pleco. IMO some plecos are friendly and some are not. If's funny some of mine I see all the time, others I almost never see.

This is normal for a plec to hide so much at first, plus the fact u say your tanse in densee with plants.
Im sure he will get used of your cresence watching himin awhile and wont mind seeing u at all. :)
Congrats on the new purchase!

Ps. I dont know if it was just my bad luck but I bought 3 ottocinclus about a year ago, they died after a couple of weeks...
Maybe it was just bad luck... I was gutted.
:(

I used to have a castle that my pleco and my pictus tried to share. It was starting to get very cramped in there so I took it out and put in some driftwood that they could keep the light out of their eyes, and I could still see them.

trotty said:
My 3in clown pleco hides, but i can't miss my 12in sailfin pleco!

Yeah, my monster (13.5") red sailfin is the same. there is no where to hide.

LWB, I wouldn't recommend a Common Plec for a planted tank. It has a tendancy to affect your mouth, every morning you start talking like a trucker (no offence to truckers).. Then you try pleeing with it to please stop destroying your plants, none of which works.

Congrats! Plecos are just awesome! I really adore my Sailfin. He showed the same behavior that you're describing when I first got him. For the first few days he was pretty stationary and hid a lot. After that he started to come out more often. Now he's pushing 6.5-7" and it's a little tougher for him to hide so I get to see him quite a bit. I've posted pics of him recently so if you do a search you can see what he looks like if you're interested. I'll try to post some pics to my gallery here as well. :)

Do you think you can try to snap a picture or two of your new Pleco? I'd love to see it!! :)

LWB said:
I believe he's just a common pleco. Really dark. ?He's about 2 inches as well.

Begat:

GouramiFanatic said:
Do you think you can try to snap a picture or two of your new Pleco? I'd love to see it!!

Which means you really have no choice. Get him out of hiding, snap a pic and allow folks the honor of seeing your new addition. :D

Back
Top Bottom