My poor lampeye tetra is missing an eye.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thyleran

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, all. I recently got a lot of three lampeye tetra on Monday. They were all fine, except for one smaller one which had a torn gill. I put them in with my serpae tetra, who was a bit aggressive at first, but they began to get a long soon afterwards. I thought all was fine until this morning when I realized the hurt lampeye's eye was missing. He still has one, and he's in a three-gallon aquarium with rocky substrate, a 7.5 watt flat heater, and a large fake plant. What should I do? I don't want to euthanize him but I'm not sure how to help him.

Hey, all. I recently got a lot of three lampeye tetra on Monday. They were all fine, except for one smaller one which had a torn gill. I put them in with my serpae tetra, who was a bit aggressive at first, but they began to get a long soon afterwards. I thought all was fine until this morning when I realized the hurt lampeye's eye was missing. He still has one, and he's in a three-gallon aquarium with rocky substrate, a 7.5 watt flat heater, and a large fake plant. What should I do? I don't want to euthanize him but I'm not sure how to help him.

Fish can live fine with 1 eye so unless you see any infection or the fish doesn't eat, I'd do nothing. (y)
Just make sure the Serpae don't attack the fish. A 3 gallon tank is really too small for either Tetra species so you are working with a bad situation to start with. They also do better in schools rather than singles so you might want to consider putting the 2 fish in with the other lampeyes when you know the 1 eye is eating.

Back
Top Bottom