My QT Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys...

I have ich in my SW tank and it's time for the QT treatment. I have a 10gal which I can use (I hope it'll hold all the fish) for 4-6 weeks.

They are:
1- ocelarris clown (1.5")
1- Pink Skunk Clown (1.5")
1- Bi colored blenny (2")
1- 6 Line Wrasse (1")
1- Brown Tang (2")

1. Will they be alright in such a small space for 4-6 weeks?
2. What should I put in QT tank? (live rock, a glass or cup, sand?)
3. I say leave them out for 4-6 weeks because that's how long it takes for ich to die in the original tank...is that true?
4. I have a medication called "ich away" (dies the water blue for an hour or so) that has worked effectively for my FW tank, will it work for these guys?
5. Can I mix the water, get it to the right temp. and put the fish in immediately in the QT or does it need to go through a regular cycle?
6. All I have on QT is a heater and a standard filter...will this be enough with daily PWC?

Sorry for all the questions...I am just so bummed and don't want to lose any of these guys (which I know I probably will :( ) Anyway, any answers to these questions would be great and any other advice from experience would be great also! Thanks guys and let's hope they make it!

,Asher

Ouch!
Can you up it to a mimimum of 20G, 30G would be best for that amount of fish, unless they are all really young/small?
2) add only some PVC pipe, big enough for hiding places. You do not want to add LR or sand.
3) I believe the ich can live 6-8 weeks before starving.
4) I have never used it. I believe in going the as natural as possible, as in hyposalinity.
5) The QT will need to cycle. BUT, you can use media and some water from your main to speed up the cycle, I believe, if done correctly, you can have it up and running in about 24hours.
6) Yes that's all you need. Maybe a ph for extra water movement, what is a standard filter...like a brand name ot model number.

Hey, it is part of tank life. At least you are respobsible enough to do it the right way. My 2nd piece of advice....
ASK AWAY!!! It helps us all to learn!

Yeah...I already lost the Tang...I only had it 2 days...*tear*...what a beautiful fish. I feel so guilty!!!

Sorry about the loss but so you`ll know in the future, a tang cant live adequatly in a 29 gallon tank. The stress of living in small quarters allowed the parasite to ravage the tang. Sometimes if stress is reduced or eliminated the fish can sometimes make it but this tang could not because of stress related to cramped quarters.

Yeah, I was told since he was so small that he would do alright, but I guess not. The wrasse isn't showing any signs of ich and the pink skunk is living in an anemone and I think it stung off what was there...I could be wrong, but everyone is looking fine now...weird...I'm going to keep feeding them the "garlic extreme" stuff and monitor closely for a week or so before I set up the QT.

Sorry for your loss, but I think the QT is still a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom