My solution for easy water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inquisitor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Plenty of people will have thought of this, but I didn't, my wife did. So for those of you like me. I have a new oscar and I was trying to figure out how to do big water changes. This is what my wife thought of.

Get a submersible water pump and hose. I got a pump and hose both from a local grow shop. It cost me less than $5o bucks. I went with a little more powerful one just to be sure it could push the water. Mine is 370 GPH, but it runs slower than that by the time it pushes it through my hose. Consider how long your hose needs to be and whether you need it to push water up, or can you let gravity help. I run mine out to a hedge, but you could just as easily run one to a bathtub or kitchen sink. Then I got 5 gallon buckets for a couple bucks a piece at walmart.

I fill up the buckets in the bathtub to get the right temperature, and I add my water conditioner. Then I mix up the water and let it sit for half an hour. Meanwhile, I put the pump low in the tank, turn off heaters and filters, and start it up. For me it's not super fast but way easier than by hand. I drained more than 25% of my 75 gallon in about 20 minutes. Without breaking a sweat.

Once the water is low enough I turn off the pump, pour in the buckets of water and restart everything. Just did a 30 percent water change on my 75 in less than 45 minutes.

I hope someone finds this helpful. I realize its obvious to some. But if you want a big tank and are scared of water changes I highly recommend this method. It was so fast and easy and it didn't even bother the oscar.

Have you ever checked out the python water changer? It hooks up to your sink, sucks the water out and into the drain, then you can reverse the flow to refill your tank. I ended up getting one because being short and lifting buckets full of water had too many close calls and saved my back lol

I do it similarly but different at the same time. I use a Rubbermaid trash can, a length of hose, an elbow from an old canister and a small pump like you indicated along with a portable-sump pump

I use ro and then remineralize. I attach the hose to the elbow and drain right down into the Rubbermaid. Much faster than a python, used less water, and waste can be used for flowers or yard. I use the small pump to re fill tanks

The portable sump is all about moving water. If it is going into the yard then a length of hose and plug it in.

If I am re filling with tap I use python to refill. I can do two at once this way and not spill beer

Back
Top Bottom