My Suggested Cure for Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
A year ago I had a run in with ich that took several fish from me. It can be sad and frustrating. I would like to help others with this problem and maybe save a couple fish in the process.

First of all, if you quarantine your fish you will have much less to worry about. Now that that has been said, what is ich? Ich is a small parasite that has an egg form, a microscopic free floating larval stage, and then the adults with protective shells you see on the scales and in the gills.

First, you will need to raise the temperature to minimum 80 degrees F. Than, add aquarium salt (about 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons). In my understanding, the higher temperature speeds up the life cycle of the ich, so the adults breed and die sooner. The salt makes it harder for the larva to survive, but will not necessarily kill all of them. After about 36 hours of this, add the recommended dosage of an ich treatment. I used API brand super ich cure successfully, and the only thing I will say not to use is coppertone. Make sure you take any carbon filtration out or the cure will be absorbed and not work. Wait until you see no more white spots, and then another day. Put in a new carbon filter. Lower the temperature back to normal.

I am not guaranteeing success. It worked for me, someone else may have used cooler temperatures and coppertone and it worked. But there are also some negative affects- the salt in the water will make it close to impossible to grow anything besides pennywort or duck weed. In larger tanks this method requires more resources, which means more money. Catfish usually arent tolerant of salt, as many invertebrates. The treatment is not the best for the fish, and will kill your beloved snails/shrimp/frogs. The warmer temperature can shock some fish, and ich often scars the gills, stunting and potentially killing the fish. Most likely only your hardiest fish will survive. Also, the often bright blue medication stains some plastics and usually has a "may lead to cancer in California" warning, so all you people from California who dont want cancer, maybe avoid it. ;)

On the bright side, small amounts of aquarium salt are good for the fish, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (at least according to a certain singer).

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and go out and do more research. I would appreciate others' opinions on this method of treatment. Thanks and have a good day/night/mid-afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom