my tank has a green tint to it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XX Mikey XX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i used the 5 test strip tests and everything on it is where i want it to be...
i did a water change 2 days ago, and after adding new water i used the aquaclear water conditioner and stress zyme as the back of the containers instruct, i also took my filter out and washed it off (a friend of mine told me to try this)...
but none of this seems to do anything (i really didnt think it would)
so should i just wait it out or do a complete clean out of the entire tank?

the only thing ive added to the tank in about a month is aponogeton bulbs from wal mart...could this have caused it?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's an algal bloom. Probably cyanobacteria, they are the only free swimming algae I know other than...(trying to recall the name) they are spirally and they...anyways the thing is if you get the second species i mentioned your fish are all probably dead because they require a huge amount of nitrate. Soooo it's probably cyano. Adjust tank nutrients and reduce lighting if you can or are willing to.

ok i will try both of those options...

is there any sure fire way to kill the cyano or is what you told me gonna kill it?

and for future reference, why do i suddenly have to reduce lighting, i run the light 24 hrs a day 7 days a week...and ive done it since i got this tank and i was wondering why it would choose now in the 3 odd months ive had it to do this?

Well cyanobacteria is a photosynthetic organism that thrives on light. Secondly, you should never keep your lights on all the time, fish have a circadian rhythm also and they need periods of light and dark. Tropical fish take a 12/12 photoperiod or 8light/14dark photoperiod just fine or just plain ambient room light 24/7. Correcting the amount you feed and fertilize will restrict cyano's growth capabilities and thus kill it as well as not giving it light.

Back
Top Bottom