My yellowtail damsel is tough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay179

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gallon tank with a huma picasso trigger, maroon yellowstripe clown and two yellowtail damsels. If my huma gets close to the live rock, the yellow tail immediately goes after him. I am shocked. I thought the huma would definately retaliate(sp?). However, I did add the huma last. Both my clown and huma are the same size and they don't bother each other. The huma likes to swim real close to the clown.

yes, damsels are mean. I have one that attacks my finger when I reach in. They are also indestructable as cockroaches are. When I upgraded tanks, I moved the liverock and some old water into the new tank, filled with RO and poured salt in. Guess who was swimming around happy as a clam a few hours later in the new tank.

Yeap, Damsel fish are jerks. My clowns (damsel family) bite me non stop when my hand goes into the tank. They ram me and chase me. They even leap out of the tank when my hand gets close to the water! I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after a shark...:vader:

Matt

I've been lucky

My yellowtails are afraid of me and my clown just goes into the corner when I do a water change. My huma just swims around away from the damsels.

I would just pay attention, they get highly territorial. Hopefully your huma will outgrow them soon and it won't be an issue. Your other options are to catch them (if you can) and isolate them in something while the huma acclimates and settles in, or later on, you can move around your LR; especially the areas they are territorial of, and it will make everyone claim new territory and usually reduce aggression.

I keep saying that I'm going to take my yellow tail back to the LFS, but then I look at him and he's so pretty and sassy :) I think I'm just going to turn his "time out" tank into his new home and keep him.

Back
Top Bottom