Mysterious deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night I found one of my cherry barbs dead with no eyes,then tonight I found another dead. Both had been fine then died with a fungus on their head. Any ideas?
Thanks

BettaGal said:
What is in with them? What are the water parameters, tank size, etc?

In with
1 Molly
1 neon tetra
2 harlequin Rasboras
4 Cory
2 zebra loach
1 honey gourami
1 Bolivian ram
2 male cherry barb
1 head and tail light tetra
I'm going to increase Rasboras and neons
Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 50 can't get lower due to tap
Ph 7.6

180 litres

It might be nitrate stress. You could use Seachem Prime to detoxify it. Or get bottled water. I will check to make sure, but I think if you go that way you want distilled water. They come in gallon jugs that I know of, but it may be different since it sounds like where you are goes by liters not gallons. I will check to make sure. On the one that lost its eyes, did it look like they surrounding area was puffy or bubbled? Did you say there was anything on the bodies that was unusual? I wanna say it looked like fungus, but I could be imagining things. Where all did it cover?

BettaGal said:
It might be nitrate stress. You could use Seachem Prime to detoxify it. Or get bottled water. I will check to make sure, but I think if you go that way you want distilled water. They come in gallon jugs that I know of, but it may be different since it sounds like where you are goes by liters not gallons. I will check to make sure. On the one that lost its eyes, did it look like they surrounding area was puffy or bubbled? Did you say there was anything on the bodies that was unusual? I wanna say it looked like fungus, but I could be imagining things. Where all did it cover?

They both had some sort of fungus type thing on their heads but apart from that whet fine except the one with no eyes ( surrounding area-nothing)
Thanks for your help so far. They have been in my tank about 2 months. Also I can't afford the bottled/distilled water

They both had some sort of fungus type thing on their heads but apart from that whet fine except the one with no eyes ( surrounding area-nothing)
Thanks for your help so far. They have been in my tank about 2 months. Also I can't afford the bottled/distilled water

Fungus stuff on the head. Did it look like a sore or lesion on their mouth at all? White white fungus looking stuff on it?

Any other fish affected? Check them all. A white growth could be columnaris and if it is you'll need to treat with specific antiobiotics. For the nitrate, you could add some fast-growing stem plants like hornwort to help suck them up. Some also use Purigen in their filters which can decrease nitrate.

librarygirl said:
Any other fish affected? Check them all. A white growth could be columnaris and if it is you'll need to treat with specific antiobiotics. For the nitrate, you could add some fast-growing stem plants like hornwort to help suck them up. Some also use Purigen in their filters which can decrease nitrate.

No none

Back
Top Bottom