Mysterious drop in temperature @9am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbekker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Last few days my Seneye Reef has indicated that my tank losses a 1 to 2 degrees C between sun up (6am-6:30am) and 9am. Then it recovers over the rest of the day.

I have a 150L tank with 150W heater. Not sure if the heater is enough but at the moment it is the middle of summer and temperatures are sweaty day and night.

Attached screen shot showing last 2 days with lowest points being around 8:30 to 9am.

Attachments

• 20130219.jpg
    20130219.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 39
Do you have an air conditioner with a programmable t-stat (or not) that might be kicking on during that time and blowing on the tank?

A curtain that you close that shades the tank?

In other words, does the temperature of your house drop at the same time?

Beyond that, if you're really worried, I would monitor the voltage at the outlet during that time as well to see if it drops too.

Do you have an air conditioner with a programmable t-stat (or not) that might be kicking on during that time and blowing on the tank?

A curtain that you close that shades the tank?

In other words, does the temperature of your house drop at the same time?

Beyond that, if you're really worried, I would monitor the voltage at the outlet during that time as well to see if it drops too.
Those are things that I would look at too. I would think that a 150w heater would be sufficient for that size tank.

Those are things that I would look at too. I would think that a 150w heater would be sufficient for that size tank.
On the other hand, a 1-2 degree drop isn't much (what's that, like 4 degrees F). I wonder if, for some reason, temp sensor gets a bunch of cool water running by it at that time.
A pump or air stone turning on? Fish getting more active?

On the other hand, a 1-2 degree drop isn't much (what's that, like 4 degrees F). I wonder if, for some reason, temp sensor gets a bunch of cool water running by it at that time.
A pump or air stone turning on? Fish getting more active?
I agree that a one or two degree drop isn't anything to really worry about, if it was five degrees that would warrant some more investigation.

I agree that a one or two degree drop isn't anything to really worry about, if it was five degrees that would warrant some more investigation.
Just FYI, a 1-2 degree drop in temp. in Centigrade is relative to Fahrenheit. There is a conversion that reveals the difference between Centigrade and Fahrenheit and there is a difference there.

Thanks for the ideas.
My Mrs keeping a eye on it today.
Other than lights nothing tank related happening. They cone on before 8 so timer needs attention

We open blinds but there is no sunlight change in the room.
Auto conditioner gadget I see in my future but not yet.

Thanks for the ideas.
My Mrs keeping a eye on it today.
Other than lights nothing tank related happening. They cone on before 8 so timer needs attention

We open blinds but there is no sunlight change in the room.
Auto conditioner gadget I see in my future but not yet.
My next suggestion, assuming you don't want to check your voltage throughout the day, is to move the temp sensor somewhere else in the tank and see if it still happens.

Great might minds...
Doing water change tonight so will move things about a little. Move heater and Seneye.

You are sure there is no sunlight change in the room? Put a thermometer in your house, outside the tank, and check the temperature at the same time, compare the ratio of tank temp/house temp in the morning to tank temp/house temp at night.

Nope no sunlight just a flood of light from outside. No open windows or doors...

Suppose pending up could effect room temperature. Will monitor

Back
Top Bottom