Mystery snail dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423100120.530015.jpg

I came home and my mystery snail is laying like this. There's no body! Or is it hiding!? Anyone knows?
Thanks
Bri

Maybe that's why they are called mystery snails! Is there anything in the tank that could/would have eaten it?

Maybe that's why they are called mystery snails! Is there anything in the tank that could/would have eaten it?

Well it was moving before I left. And I was out for like one hour or so and came back and the shell is looks like that. And the only thing I know would have eaten it, would be my crab. He was always close by the snail but not lately. So idk. I am very confuse :(

That just looks like his trapdoor is shut and he's in his shell. If you pull the shell out is it hollow and you can stick your finger in it? If the snail is dead you can take him out and smell him and you'll be able to tell if he's dead.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also, in regards to your crab, remember, that crab requires brackish water and land. If you have him in just a pure underwater freshwater environment it's basically torturing the crab.

I had a mystery snail in one of my tanks that didn't move for almost a week one time, I thought surely it died, then one night I found it moving across the tank. They don't call them mystery snails for nothing.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

That just looks like his trapdoor is shut and he's in his shell. If you pull the shell out is it hollow and you can stick your finger in it? If the snail is dead you can take him out and smell him and you'll be able to tell if he's dead.

I'll have to wait and see :) thanks for all the advice

They're definitely characters. Mine will sometimes lay on their shells and half hang out of their shells. I'm always afraid they're dead but when I reach in to pull it out and do the sniff test they either pull all the way in their shells or come out and start moving around. I have about five egg clutches all around the hood of my aquarium from my female, hopefully one of them will produce some baby snails.

Back
Top Bottom