Nano Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KentuckyKenny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the planning stage for my first saltwater tank. I am going to do a 10 gallon Nano tank. I really want a Nemo with an Anemone in my display. Is it possible to have an Anemone in a small Nano tank?

It depends on the anemone. The mini/maxi anemone that are quite popular would do great in such a sized tank. When it comes to the anemones like the bubble tips and such, they get large and I would not suggest one in such a small tank.

Rock flower nems are probably the best and easiest nano nems you can get

Clowns won’t host rock flowers or mini maxis though. Just putting that there if that’s the only reason you want a nem

I know it's 1 fish per gallon. Does the anemone count as 1?

? 1 fish per gallon???? Sw stocking is very different than freshwater as most sw reef fish fall in the semi aggressive category and have territories. In a ten gallon tank you could do 2 small fish and then if doing mini maxis or rock flowers you could fit a bunch. Stocking corals/ nems doesn’t really affect the bio load as much as fish do. Like hank said bubble tips get to large for a 10. You’ll also need intense lighting and stability for anemones

Obviously I'm a newbie. That's exactly why I joined this forum. Thanks for enlightening me on the number of fish. I understand the need for clean water, can you define intense lighting?

Yep! Anemones get all most of their energy from symbiotic zooxanthellae that perform photosynthesis inside of their flesh. This is also where they get their colors from, same with corals. Therefore these photosynthetic zooxanthellae require intense lights to thrive. There are 3 lighting options in sw; leds, t5ho lights and metal halides. Each has their benefits and downfalls. LEDs are the newest and usually last longer than the other two since you don’t have to replace bulbs but halides and t5s are proven. Good brands are AI, ecotech, kessil, max spect for leds and then there’s the black box ones like reef feeders, vipaspectra, and the Chinese knockoffs. All of which provide ample lighting.

Back
Top Bottom