Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was thinking about doing a 10 gallon nano reef.

What kind of lighting do you guys use for your nano reefs? I'm hoping to go with something that will support a few zoanthids.

Also, please correct me if I'm missing anything on this supply list ( I have many freshwater tanks so I have the "basics"):

-Salt
-Hydrometer
-Live Rock
-Lighting (if I just use a standard LED light until I order something for the coral is that ok for a clown fish? I wouldn't put corals in before I got proper lighting)
-Bio-Spira for cycling
-Heater
-Thermometer Strip

Is anything needed for water flow?

Sent from my iPhone.

What kind of lighting do you guys use for your nano reefs? I'm hoping to go with something that will support a few zoanthids.

Also, please correct me if I'm missing anything on this supply list ( I have many freshwater tanks so I have the "basics"):

-Salt
-Hydrometer
-Live Rock
-Lighting (if I just use a standard LED light until I order something for the coral is that ok for a clown fish? I wouldn't put corals in before I got proper lighting)
-Bio-Spira for cycling
-Heater
-Thermometer Strip

Sent from my iPhone.

On my 10g I'm currently running a par38 from reefkoi, at about $80 it's a great option for nanos with out breaking the bank. I also go through the set up of my 10g pretty thoroughly in the first couple posts in my thread "operation clown goby rescue" right here in the nano reefs section. As far as filtration I'm just using an ac30 with floss, purigen, and phosgaurd when needed.

As to your equipment list I'd replace the hydrometer with a refractometer, and the strip thermometer for a regular/digital one. Both the ones on your list are notoriously in accurate, and stable temp and salinity are key in a reef tank.

-Salt
-Hydrometer
-Live Rock
-Bio-Spira for cycling
-Heater
-Thermometer Strip

Sent from my iPhone.

(you're missing filtration which is the most important)
Honestly it's much more affordable to buy an all in one like a biocube or nuvo. I think nuvo looks better than cubes do. If you're going to be doing fish+corals you're going to have to do either or a combination of these three... weekly to biweekly 15%-25% water changes, an HOB- (hang on the back) or in tank protein skimmer, a hang on the back sump for sufficient biological filtration, keeping the amount of fish to no more than two 3 inch fish. Aside from these method to preserve water quality & assuming you would not get a protein skimmer I would also add to that a hang on the back cartridge filter rated for at least double the amount of water you're using it for. Me personally? This is what I would do. Use an HOB sump with bio beads & seachem "matrix" or "de nitrate"- (both are for bio filtration & will remove nitrate much better then live rock or beads, de nitrate being more expensive). Then I would add an HOB cartridge filter unless you can fit filter floss into the HOB sump some where. Ussually, hobbiest will tell you 1lb of live rock & substrate for every g of water. Extremist usually will tell you 2lbs per g of water. I say 1lb because with the help of your thriving bio filtration, it will more than do. On my system this is pretty much the bio filtration I have along side activated carbon, zeolite crystals, & phosphate absorber- (all of which chemical filtration). There are a plethora of different chemical filters out there. What you want to concentrate on is if it can remove organics, ammonia, & nitrates. Seachem I think also produces something like this that way you don't have to buy several medias of filtration. moving on to the salt mixing process. Keep in mind that unless you're buying premade SW you are going to have to buy an R/O water filter unit so that you can mix it with the salt. If you use tap water (dechlorinated abiously), you're going to get an uncontrollable algea bloom form the nutrients in tap water. You could buy the water in bottles but that would be VERY expensive. Also, their is no salt mix pack for under 25g. The reason I bring this up is because if you're not planning on using the entire pack, you're going to have a hard time. These salts absorb water VERY VERY easily & the problem is that once they become hard, they crystalyze & wont mix properly in the water. The only solution to this is to make the entire batch in whatever container*s & keep the saltmix mixing with a pump & covered (not very practical). Of course the other best option is to just buy pre-made water which also brings up another point. Their is un filtered & unsteralized ocean water, filtered & steralized ocean water (petco or other brand online) & pre made salt mix water. Use either the premade or the petco stuff because any live rock, live water, whatever that comes from the ocean or another tank exposed to oceanic live micro organizims can pottentially carry parasites such as ick or parasitic inverts. Moving on to live rock. Live just means that it contains living organisms wether bacterial or large enough to see with the eye. Live rock depending on where it comes from (wheter it's from the ocean or was seeded bu another live rock) is a double edged sword. They can bring both good & bad life. That's why it's better to just buy regular rock (much less expensive) & over time it will become live with good anerobic bacteria that bio filters your water or if you do get live rock from anyone make sure to kill everything in it by washing with tap water, brush it off, leaving it in the sun for 2weeks, & the finally cure it in a bucket until it stops realesing amonia. Moving on, hydrometers are fine but, they're very delicate. You must make sure that you ALWAY ALWAYS wash & clean it with tap water after using it with SW & never drop it. It may work after dropping but it also may not. Light, any light is good for any SW fish. The only purpose in fact is just for the fish to know that it's day time & behave accordingly since these fish DO actually rest. For corals you'll have to buy a light fixture that supports at least two bulbs. There are many, here's the cheapest company Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!
Strips suck, & usually are inacurate, just get a digital one. For water flow you'll need a circulation pump. You'll also need to supplement the tank with chemicals (nano two part dosing) to keep the minerals high enough for the corals depending on how many corals you have- (how much minerals they are absorbing form the water) & how many water changes you do. Remember to always quarantine & medicate fish in a separate tank as well as dipping corals & quarantining them in a separate tank or container for at least two days, same goes with macroalgea. It's not a 100% guarantee but, if you don't you'll risk infecting your fish & or corals with parasites. Make sure to also cycle the tank with bio-spira according to the amount of fish you have once the fish are in & the whole system is a go. GOOD LUCK!

your live rock is your filtration, as long as you have proper flow it will work. any rock becomes live after a cycle, if you dont want pests then dip and inspect your rock or by base rock and let it turn live. You can run mechanical and chemical filtration in a hob if you want. i see close to nothing wrong with your list right now.

(you're missing filtration which is the most important)
Honestly it's much more affordable to buy an all in one like a biocube or nuvo. I think nuvo looks better than cubes do. If you're going to be doing fish+corals you're going to have to do either or a combination of these three... weekly to biweekly 15%-25% water changes, an HOB- (hang on the back) or in tank protein skimmer, a hang on the back sump for sufficient biological filtration, keeping the amount of fish to no more than two 3 inch fish. Aside from these method to preserve water quality & assuming you would not get a protein skimmer I would also add to that a hang on the back cartridge filter rated for at least double the amount of water you're using it for. Me personally? This is what I would do. Use an HOB sump with bio beads & seachem "matrix" or "de nitrate"- (both are for bio filtration & will remove nitrate much better then live rock or beads, de nitrate being more expensive). Then I would add an HOB cartridge filter unless you can fit filter floss into the HOB sump some where. Ussually, hobbiest will tell you 1lb of live rock & substrate for every g of water. Extremist usually will tell you 2lbs per g of water. I say 1lb because with the help of your thriving bio filtration, it will more than do. On my system this is pretty much the bio filtration I have along side activated carbon, zeolite crystals, & phosphate absorber- (all of which chemical filtration). There are a plethora of different chemical filters out there. What you want to concentrate on is if it can remove organics, ammonia, & nitrates. Seachem I think also produces something like this that way you don't have to buy several medias of filtration. moving on to the salt mixing process. Keep in mind that unless you're buying premade SW you are going to have to buy an R/O water filter unit so that you can mix it with the salt. If you use tap water (dechlorinated abiously), you're going to get an uncontrollable algea bloom form the nutrients in tap water. You could buy the water in bottles but that would be VERY expensive. Also, their is no salt mix pack for under 25g. The reason I bring this up is because if you're not planning on using the entire pack, you're going to have a hard time. These salts absorb water VERY VERY easily & the problem is that once they become hard, they crystalyze & wont mix properly in the water. The only solution to this is to make the entire batch in whatever container*s & keep the saltmix mixing with a pump & covered (not very practical). Of course the other best option is to just buy pre-made water which also brings up another point. Their is un filtered & unsteralized ocean water, filtered & steralized ocean water (petco or other brand online) & pre made salt mix water. Use either the premade or the petco stuff because any live rock, live water, whatever that comes from the ocean or another tank exposed to oceanic live micro organizims can pottentially carry parasites such as ick or parasitic inverts. Moving on to live rock. Live just means that it contains living organisms wether bacterial or large enough to see with the eye. Live rock depending on where it comes from (wheter it's from the ocean or was seeded bu another live rock) is a double edged sword. They can bring both good & bad life. That's why it's better to just buy regular rock (much less expensive) & over time it will become live with good anerobic bacteria that bio filters your water or if you do get live rock from anyone make sure to kill everything in it by washing with tap water, brush it off, leaving it in the sun for 2weeks, & the finally cure it in a bucket until it stops realesing amonia. Moving on, hydrometers are fine but, they're very delicate. You must make sure that you ALWAY ALWAYS wash & clean it with tap water after using it with SW & never drop it. It may work after dropping but it also may not. Light, any light is good for any SW fish. The only purpose in fact is just for the fish to know that it's day time & behave accordingly since these fish DO actually rest. For corals you'll have to buy a light fixture that supports at least two bulbs. There are many, here's the cheapest company Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!
Strips suck, & usually are inacurate, just get a digital one. For water flow you'll need a circulation pump. You'll also need to supplement the tank with chemicals (nano two part dosing) to keep the minerals high enough for the corals depending on how many corals you have- (how much minerals they are absorbing form the water) & how many water changes you do. Remember to always quarantine & medicate fish in a separate tank as well as dipping corals & quarantining them in a separate tank or container for at least two days, same goes with macroalgea. It's not a 100% guarantee but, if you don't you'll risk infecting your fish & or corals with parasites. Make sure to also cycle the tank with bio-spira according to the amount of fish you have once the fish are in & the whole system is a go. GOOD LUCK!

No offense but most of this is extreme and way over complicated and a little confusing.

It's cool, I understand.The more you know the more likely you are to succeed. Better to learn this stuff now then the hard way & end up with many headaches & money down the toilet as most beginners usually do. I tried to list the most common mistakes & problems that beginners run into.

Thanks patrick I appreciate all the advice. For now I am going to stick with live rock as my filtration and will look into the other things you suggested gradually. I have it up and running as of today.

I went with a 20G and added live rock and live sand and Fluval beneficial bacteria. It's a little cloudy still because the sand is settling. I had to mix the saltwater in the tank because I only had 5G buckets which will be good for mixing salt for water changes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415427245.965911.jpg

My salinity said it was fine and in the green until I put the live sand in and it's been at the top since. I'm assuming (and hoping) it will go back to how it was. Might look at getting a refractometer or a different hydrometer. I have the circulation pump off for right now as I'm letting the sand settle.

With the tank like this, would I be able to add a single clownfish tomorrow? As I used all live bacteria stuff. They're hardy I hear - would they be ok through the cycle? I'm assuming it will be a quick cycle.

Or perhaps a cleaner fish?
Sent from my iPhone.

Thanks patrick I appreciate all the advice. For now I am going to stick with live rock as my filtration and will look into the other things you suggested gradually. I have it up and running as of today.

I went with a 20G and added live rock and live sand and Fluval beneficial bacteria. It's a little cloudy still because the sand is settling. I had to mix the saltwater in the tank because I only had 5G buckets which will be good for mixing salt for water changes.

View attachment 255152

My salinity said it was fine and in the green until I put the live sand in and it's been at the top since. I'm assuming (and hoping) it will go back to how it was. Might look at getting a refractometer or a different hydrometer. I have the circulation pump off for right now as I'm letting the sand settle.

With the tank like this, would I be able to add a single clownfish tomorrow? As I used all live bacteria stuff. They're hardy I hear - would they be ok through the cycle? I'm assuming it will be a quick cycle.

Sent from my iPhone.

no fish should be put through a cycle. Add ammonia and watch first. If your cycle is done then add fish.

no fish should be put through a cycle. Add ammonia and watch first. If your cycle is done then add fish.

You are completely right - the excitement of this tank has me getting ahead of myself.

Sent from my iPhone.

So, I'm cycling with live rock and live sand.

When I start to notice the ammonia starting to raise should I do one or two small water changes to keep it low? And the same with the nitrite? Will this help the process?

Or should I just leave it completely and let it do its own thing?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPhone.

So, I'm cycling with live rock and live sand.

When I start to notice the ammonia starting to raise should I do one or two small water changes to keep it low? And the same with the nitrite? Will this help the process?

Or should I just leave it completely and let it do its own thing?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPhone.
add your ammonia source, let ammonia spike, then trite, then trate. once you have ammonia turning to nitrate in 24 hours, then start doing water changes.

View attachment 255152

Sent from my iPhone.

"I'm assuming (and hoping) it will go back to how it was."
If you mixed the water & sand properly then yes. Most sand contain silicates(minerals) that when suspended in water can raise your salinity.

"With the tank like this, would I be able to add a single clownfish tomorrow?"
After the sand settles & you test the salinity you can put only one small preferably hardy fish like the clownfish. Unfortunately you took a wrong step. You added the bacteria before adding the fish. The bacteria that process the nitrogen cycle need ammonia present so that they can feed. Without it, they simply die. At this point it may be too late & you'll need to purchase another bottle. Honestly, the only bacterial product I trust with saltwater is bio-spira & one & only because they've been tested to work & contain the autotrophic bacteria necessary for the cycle.

"They're hardy I hear - would they be ok through the cycle? I'm assuming it will be a quick cycle."
That is correct. This is the nitrogen cycle in most aquariums (ammonia->nitrite->nitrate). As one raises, the bacteria feed & convert one to the next as to not allow any to raise too high. Before these bacterial products hobbyist had to perform the cycle themselves by adding a source of ammonia(piece of dead fish or shrimp) & wait for the bacteria to develop. Today our biologist & chemist have been able to bottle this bacteria & make that process unnecessary. You'll have traditionalist tell you it still is though. Assuming that your live rock hasn't been out of water for too long or has had any "die-off" than it should not be producing any ammonia or at least not too much. Remember, the bacteria need ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to live so the amount of ammonia that you have is the amount of bacteria that's going to live so don't wast the whole bottle on one fish. Maybe half of a small bottle. From there begin testing your water to make sure it completes the cycle by the end of the month.

"I'm assuming (and hoping) it will go back to how it was."
If you mixed the water & sand properly then yes. Most sand contain silicates(minerals) that when suspended in water can raise your salinity.

"With the tank like this, would I be able to add a single clownfish tomorrow?"
After the sand settles & you test the salinity you can put only one small preferably hardy fish like the clownfish. Unfortunately you took a wrong step. You added the bacteria before adding the fish. The bacteria that process the nitrogen cycle need ammonia present so that they can feed. Without it, they simply die. At this point it may be too late & you'll need to purchase another bottle. Honestly, the only bacterial product I trust with saltwater is bio-spira & one & only because they've been tested to work & contain the autotrophic bacteria necessary for the cycle.

"They're hardy I hear - would they be ok through the cycle? I'm assuming it will be a quick cycle."
That is correct. This is the nitrogen cycle in most aquariums (ammonia->nitrite->nitrate). As one raises, the bacteria feed & convert one to the next as to not allow any to raise too high. Before these bacterial products hobbyist had to perform the cycle themselves by adding a source of ammonia(piece of dead fish or shrimp) & wait for the bacteria to develop. Today our biologist & chemist have been able to bottle this bacteria & make that process unnecessary. You'll have traditionalist tell you it still is though. Assuming that your live rock hasn't been out of water for too long or has had any "die-off" than it should not be producing any ammonia or at least not too much. Remember, the bacteria need ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to live so the amount of ammonia that you have is the amount of bacteria that's going to live so don't wast the whole bottle on one fish. Maybe half of a small bottle. From there begin testing your water to make sure it completes the cycle by the end of the month.

Fish in cycling is cruel and unnecessary, why make an animal live in poison just because you don't want to wait to see life in the tank.

Fish in cycling is cruel and unnecessary, why make an animal live in poison just because you don't want to wait to see life in the tank.

No way of course not. " As one raises, the bacteria feed & convert one to the next as to not allow any to raise too high." Just as it would be by waiting it out without a bacterial supplement. It's okay, the fish won't feel a thing because it's the EXACT SAME process & thing just made instantized by science. It wont touch a drop of it. As soon as it urinates or food spoils, the bacteria begin to rapidly eat away & convert it.

No way of course not. " As one raises, the bacteria feed & convert one to the next as to not allow any to raise too high." Just as it would be by waiting it out without a bacterial supplement. It's okay, the fish won't feel a thing because it's the EXACT SAME process & thing just made instantized by science. It wont touch a drop of it. As soon as it urinates or food spoils, the bacteria begin to rapidly eat away & convert it.

That's assuming that bottled bacteria actually work.....

It's worked in my tanks, my friends' tanks, I know several maintenance companies that use it & there's published & peer-reviewed scientific articles proving it does. It's just basic marine biology.

Nothing has ever been scientifically proven on these products, and in fact dr Tim's one and only is the only one that is commonly believed to do anything, and even that doesn't instantly cycle a tank. And it doesn't surprise me that many maintenance companies would recommend them, products like this are how they make a majority of their money.

Nothing has ever been scientifically proven on these products, and in fact dr Tim's one and only is the only one that is commonly believed to do anything, and even that doesn't instantly cycle a tank. And it doesn't surprise me that many maintenance companies would recommend them, products like this are how they make a majority of their money.

Well I don't know what to tell you then buddy. I mean it HAS WORKED not only for me but countless others (if used properly). I didn't say recomend, I said USE. They use it for thier cleints with no problems. Dr. Hovanic (Tim) invented bio-spira when he worked for marineland (parent company of instant ocean at the time) so yeah of course it works. The evidence is there, like it or not. Maybe years ago but not now. Again, bio spira & one & only are the only specifically state that they have nitrobacter & nitrosomonas.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415635369.829007.jpg
My ten gal and it's better to wait to add fish trust me don't find out the hard way because u will see them suffer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom