Necessary Chemicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some necessary chemicals that I should have (or recommended to have) on hand at all times, especially when starting with my first FW tank?

Other than H2O, not too many!:D

You really only NEED a water conditioner to detoxify chlorine and chloramine. Just about any water conditioner will do, but most people here recommend Prime, as it's very economical.

Some people keep aquarium salt - NOT marine salt - on hand for their hospital tank. Kosher salt is the same thing - pure NaCl with no iodine or anticaking agents added. I have some magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salt around to treat swimbladder problems and constipation. I consider these salts medications rather than water additives. Speaking of medications, it's a good idea to have both MelaFix for minor scrapes and Maracyn for bacterial infections on hand.

You definitely want to AVOID treatments meant to adjust pH. A stable pH is better that a perfect pH, as they say. There are much better ways to deal with pH issues. Also, avoid chemicals meant to rid the tank of algae. They are toxic to inverts and very hard to eliminate from the tank once they are used. You might decide to keep shrimp or snails in a few years - who knows? Again, there are much better ways to deal with algae.

Stable water conditions are more important to fish that the exact, perfect conditions for fish. Generally speaking, most tap water sources aren't so far in the ranges that you will have lots of problems.

Like QTOFFER mentioned, most of the time you just need to treat new water with a conditioner such as prime.

Get a test kit like the AP Master Test Kit. Test your tap water after it has been sitting out for 24 hours. Post the results here and let us know what they are along with what you're hoping to keep in your tank. People can make recommendations based on what would work best with your water conditions.

Thanks for the information. In another one of my threads, I was curious if there was a "fast cycle." It seems that my tank has completely cycled in just over 2 weeks (which from what I've read, is unheard of). So I was advised to test it by adding ammonia just for precautionary measures.

The previous posts are spot on for a fish only, regular old FW tank. If you are going for something more then that, then there are other chemicals that you may need.

Just as an example, here is what I maintain:

MgSO4
CaCl2
K2SO4
KNO3
CSM+B
KH2PO4
Flourish
Flourish Excel
Melafix
Certified KH standard
Prime
Aquarium salt
CO2
ECT...(Can't think of all of them ATM)

In other words, your question was pretty open. If you are doing something other then just housing fish, then you may need other chemicals.

<planted tank keeper - my list (pretty well stolen from ^^)

In my fert mixes:
MgSO4*7H20
CaCl2
KCl
K2HPO4 (available where I work)
KNO3
CSM+B

Also keep/use:
API FW Master Test Kit
Flourish Excel
4dKH solution for drop checker
Prime
CO2 (mine's DIY - Fleischmann's yeast, sugar, water)

No salt, Melafix & some Jungle anti parasite food in stock for "issues" that have cropped up in the past.

Back
Top Bottom