Need advice cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toaduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been cycling with ammonia (no fiis)for a week and I still don't have nitrites, however, I've had to add ammonia twice because it dropped to .5 ppm ( as instructions say). My nitrates however are 40+. I can't tell but they're somewhere between 40 to 80 but not the really maroon red color.

I am still confused as why I have not ever seen any nitrite, ever. How do I have nitrates without ever seeing nitrite. It takes about 2 days to go from 3ppm to .5 on ammonia.

I just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any more advice or thoughts.

I saw that same thing. Would watch the ammonia go up (after dosing) and drop the next day but NO nitrites. I was testing once a day. Then I managed to test nitrites a few times the day after the ammonia dose and I finally caught a positive reading. The "spike" was rather short lived. This may mean the nitrite consuming BB are rather efficient in converting nitrite except when a large amount of nitrite is suddenly present. There is a slight nitrite "backup" but after a few hours they take care of it. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have personally never 'caught' the nitrite spike but as ammonia had become nitrate then it must have cycled through the nitrite phase. I tend to only concentrate on ammonia and nitrates now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is common to not get a big nitrite spike. As long as ammonia is dropping and nitrate is increasing your cycle is moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom