Need advice for hood/light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosso961

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, my great girlfriend decided to kickstart a hobby I've been really wanting to learn about and get into and that is aquariums. God bless her for that, just to get started she got me an Aqueon 16 gallon LED widescreen starter kit, I can't find a link to this product online, the best I can find is this youtube video of someone unboxing it.

Long story short, I shouldn't of expected much from a starter kit but it's been sort of a disaster. The thermometer I left on for days and never read a single temperture, but those are cheap so I didn't mind, and just bought an in-tank one.

The hood doesn't hinge, which is particularly annoying for water changes, or really any maitenence I'm trying to perform, but again I could live with it.

And come to find out via Aqueon, the lights can't be replaced, so if they die, they die, and I can't swap them out for different ones, but again I could live with it.

I am very particular about things those, and 1 of the 4 LED lights has stopped working, again since I can't replace these apparently I started to look into a new hood just for research. The tank itself measures 30"L, 8"D, and 14"H the hood itself seems more like 29"L and 7.5"D but regardless, all the hoods I could find that are 30"L are 12"D which is not going to work.

I'm new to aquariums and this hobby like I said, and I'm trying to remain patient. I am doing my cycling, which unfortunately turned into a fish-in cycle, but I'm doing daily water changes, and monitoring the water daily if not more. I have 4 zebra Danios currently, and I'm just trying to give them a good home! Ideally eventually I will upgrade to a larger/more normal tank, but I am trying to learn the ropes with this one, and especially since my girlfriend bought it, I am trying to not make her feel bad.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how maybe I can swap one of these LEDs out or get this one working again? Or on buying an appropriate sized hood?

As for how the light went bad I'm not sure. I do have an air stone disc below that light in the gravel, and there seems to be a small sprinkle that comes off the water, however I would hope aquarium lights could withstand that.

Thanks so much!

You can get a glass top very cheap and just get a replacement LED strip or a T8 or a clip-on shop light or any number of things based on your budget and ability/interest in DIY.

If you can't find a glass top of the exact dimensions you need, buy one that is slightly large and get a cheap glass cutter at any hardware store. I was skeptical that this weird stick of metal was going to cut glass at first, but it works well and is easy. I used old picture frame glass to cut down glass lids for my oddly sized 33g long tank.

Thank you very much !!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

as for a new LED light bar, Finnex has a decent affordable line. You can get them off of amazon

If you just got the tank, some stores might swap the hood for you ??

My Petsmart used to have a VERY generous return policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom