Need advice on 29 gallon freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went ahead and merged your two threads into a single thread, so that all the information is in one place.

I did a little looking at the two species of sunfish you are looking at, and the Bluespot is a planktivore, which means you will most likely not be able to convert it over to worms of any type. Daphnia would be your live food of choice if you were going to try and keep it.

Any idea what kind of worms are used in this video they really seem to like them. What would be involved in keeping daphnia, never kept a planktivore.

No video link, so I can't tell you. Daphnia isn't too bad to keep SACHS can provide most of what you need. I don't really culture mine traditionally, so I'm probably not a lot of help. I keep mine in a 5 gallon aquarium in the window with a sponge filter, ADA substrate and driftwood. The tank is planted with anacharis, java moss and hornwort. The tank maintains a population of amphipods, copepods and Daphnia magna.

I would say those are likely bloodworms, but that is the black banded sunfish is it not? The black banded is a carnivore feeding on worms and insects as well as planktonic microfauna.

I would say those are likely bloodworms, but that is the black banded sunfish is it not? The black banded is a carnivore feeding on worms and insects as well as planktonic microfauna.

Yes those are the black banded, the video description says that there is one blue spotted but I think it's a juvenile bluegill,

I would like to keep this tank simple so I think I'll get banded sunfish instead of the blue spotted, I also like their coloration a little better, and think it will mix better with the black banded.

Just wanted to give an update, the tank is now set up and the fish are due to arrive Wednesday.

3 blue spotted sunfish
2 black banded sunfish
2 speckled madtoms.

Oooooo! Exciting! Pic of the tank before fish?

Here's what I have so far. It's a mixture of live and artificial plants, the fish are due in the mail tomorrowimage.jpg

After talking to customer service at the website I got them from, I ended up with 2 speckled madtoms, 2 black banded sunfish, and 2 blue spotted sunfish. I Will post more pictures after the fish have acclimated to their new home.

Looks like you are off to a start . . . I would look into adding a lot more plants before your fish arrive. Sunfish prefer a heavily planted tank.

I had more but four of them died, the fish arrive today so I plan on adding more plants over time.

The fish arrived today and look great, I fed them and they ate immediately. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom