need experienced opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
just curious to what you all think about this list of fish for my 75... i just would like to have some suggestions please.

what i have now:
Coral Beauty
Blue Chromis
Sleeper Banded Goby
Perc Clownfish
Scopas Tang

What i would like to add:
2 more Chromis
Goby and a pistol shrimp
another Clown
and maybe a Blue Tang

TIA guys...

on the tank i have a HOB Fuge, a CSS Skimmer and aprox. 100 lbs of LR, and 90lbs of sand..

Maybe others will see other issues, but Tangs are not well known for "brotherly love." I am assuming you mean a blue hippo tang? It's possible it might work, but it's also possible one of the tangs will end up dead...

Paul

thats what i thought also so i was considering doing a manderin instead of the BHT. Thanks for the reply!!

Both the Scopas and Blue Hippo Tang will out grow that tank, let alone the aggression issues that may/will arise. A 75g does not provide alot of swimming room for either one of those tangs, let alone two. By the looks of things, the fish you already have are over the general limit. You have approx 30" of adult fish in a 75gal tank. The rule of thumb in SW is 1" of fish for every 3-5 gals. Best luck

Rusles are meant to be broken. I am not an expert and I would err on the side of less fish to keep things less crowded and the water quality better. However at the same time I would nto use any type of rules that people say are general rules of thumb.

Keep fish that don't get way to large for the tank, keep fish that can live togheter. Keep fish that you want but don't keep too many. Try to make it so the yare comfortabel and the enviorment is fitting to their natural habitat.

Be smart, use your head. But if yo uwant to keep 1inch of fish per 2 gallons of water go for it.

how about this??

2 clownfish
sleeper goby
coral beauty
3 chromis
1 manderin

will that work?

how about this??

2 clownfish
sleeper goby
coral beauty
3 chromis
1 manderin

will that work?
I don't understand? If you mean ONLY those fish in your tank I'd say yes. Should be very nice since you have a fuge and plenty of LR for the Manderin.

jasno999 said:
Rusles are meant to be broken. I am not an expert and I would err on the side of less fish to keep things less crowded and the water quality better. However at the same time I would nto use any type of rules that people say are general rules of thumb.
Well "people" reference rules of thumb because they are fairly accurate. These "people", many times, have been in the hobby long enough to know what works and what does not. Rules are NOT meant to be broken in this hobby. That type of attitude is a bit cavalier for me, especially when considering the animals we keep are not exactly THRIVING in the wild. That type of indifference leads to more devastation. It's called bad husbandry.

It is not bad husbandry. There have been numeroust times when people have told me a ceartain plant or fish would never work in my tank. There have been plenty of times where people or rules have stated that my setup or number of fish was jsut not right.

However in all of those times people were wrong. I have kept fish (freshwater) that nobody would ever thing could co exist together. I have overstocked tanks and not had a problem.

What I am sayign is that we need to make good decisions and we need to understand our tanks and what we have in them. We need to keep watchful eyes and make sure things don't get out of hand. But we don't always need to follow all of the pre-described rules. In reality these rules are set up for safety and to keep any non-experienced aquariust from killign all of their fish. But if you use common sense and do things in small parts you will find that the so called rules don't always apply.

Truthfully we are jsut coming to understand many of the things required for good saltwater husbandry. And I am sure more and more knowadge will be learned in the future. I am jsut tellign people to use their minds and do what they feel is right. As long as they keep on top of stuff, watch their tanks and use common sense the rules can be broken.

jasno999 said:
I have kept fish (freshwater) that nobody would ever thing could co exist together. I have overstocked tanks and not had a problem.
I'd say you were lucky more than anything.
jasno999 said:
Truthfully we are jsut coming to understand many of the things required for good saltwater husbandry
I don't want to flame anyone, that is not the intention of my posts. You seem to have a good feel for the health of your tanks. I just don't like when people disregard good information. Stocking limits in SW reef tanks w/ LR as the primary filtration are well defined/proven. They are not new. Not to mention how small a 75gal is for one, let alone two large tangs that each require ALOT of swimming room.
Happy reefing.

I agree with MT on this. What may work for one may not work for the other and visversa while maybe true in some cases, it is very common knowledge that tangs grow large and while having one in a 75 IMO is pushing it, 2 is way out of the question, Of course there will be lots of disagreement, but for long term health of the tank and the fish, this is not a good idea.

;)

Back
Top Bottom