Need Guidance to Stop Killing Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjmcnix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need help desperately with some guppies.

I have had this 15 gallon tank for about a year now. I've had some deaths and replacements over that year.

Two weeks ago, one of my two long term survivors died. I bought two more guppies to appease my 8 year old daughter. During the past week, my other long term survivor died. This morning, one of the new guppies died leaving only one lonely survivor. I checked the morning death and I don't see any inflamed gills indicating chlorine burns or anything.

I have been battling with greenish water for some time now, but the PH and chlorine levels have been constant. Water is at a steady 80 degrees and I change maybe 20% water a week with AquaSafe added.

Three new snails have done an amazing job of clearing the tremendous amount of algae I had growing on the rocks and the back of the tank wall.

I'm getting desperate here... any suggestions on where to even start identifying the issues?

Attachments

• 20151106_165045.jpg
    20151106_165045.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20151106_165208.jpg
    20151106_165208.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20151106_165306 (1).jpg
    20151106_165306 (1).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20151106_172222.jpg
    20151106_172222.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 87
How long are you running lights ? If your water is green consider doing a 3 day blackout...no light, cover tank for 3 days.

Afterwards put lights on a timer. 6 hours total daily. Make sure sun isn't hitting tank.

Have you tested Ammonia ? Nitrites? Nitrates?

I'm sorry it's hard for me to read your strips.

And are you changing out filter pads ? If you are, stop doing that and just rinse them in dechlorinated water or used tank water.

Consider feeding a bit less till you can get Algae under control.

How many fish do you have in the tank ? Some live plants like Guppy Grass or Water Sprite may help also.

Check decor for paint peeling. Check with child for any added "food" to tank.

Hope things improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How long are you running lights ? If your water is green consider doing a 3 day blackout...no light, cover tank for 3 days.

Afterwards put lights on a timer. 6 hours total daily. Make sure sun isn't hitting tank.

Have you tested Ammonia ? Nitrites? Nitrates?

I'm sorry it's hard for me to read your strips.

And are you changing out filter pads ? If you are, stop doing that and just rinse them in dechlorinated water or used tank water.

Consider feeding a bit less till you can get Algae under control.

How many fish do you have in the tank ? Some live plants like Guppy Grass or Water Sprite may help also.

Check decor for paint peeling. Check with child for any added "food" to tank.

Hope things improve.

Lights (LED) go on at dawn and off at dusk.
Feeding is once a day in the morning.. a small "pinch" of flakes.
The filter is a biofilter that a rinse/wash once a month and have replaced 6 months ago.
Ammonia levels are 0. I don't know how to check the nitrite/nitrate yet.
It's just 1 fish and 3 snails at this point. No direct sunlight.

Will killing off the algae hurt the snails?
Is once a day too much or okay for feeding?

Nope. Only additions were 3 snails and the fish themselves.

First thing I would do is cut the lighting time and drop the temp, if you can. If the tank is kept at normal room temps, I wouldn't even use a heater. I never heat live bearer tanks, and mine will fluctuate between 66F and 75F at different times of the year. Guppies will live longer at lower temps, and you will have higher dissolved oxygen content, and slower bacteria growth.
While green water is unsightly, it is not harmful. It may even be beneficial. Killing it, can cause a sudden rise in ammonia and bacteria. if you want rid of it, change water out, and cut the lighting time.

I do use a heater and the water temp is a steady 80 or so. How low should I let it go?

I may be wrong but that looks like a pool test kit??
Strips are often not real accurate.
I agree 80 is liittle high.
Mid to low 70s should fine.
Old(er) fish are not so 'suspect' IMO ,but the new addition also is concerning.
Hope you get this worked out.

in your original post i don't see anything stating when the snails were added in comparison to the first deaths.

Lights (LED) go on at dawn and off at dusk.
Feeding is once a day in the morning.. a small "pinch" of flakes.
The filter is a biofilter that a rinse/wash once a month and have replaced 6 months ago.
Ammonia levels are 0. I don't know how to check the nitrite/nitrate yet.
It's just 1 fish and 3 snails at this point. No direct sunlight.

Will killing off the algae hurt the snails?
Is once a day too much or okay for feeding?

Running your lights over 8 hours just grows algae.

I would gradually lower temp to 76-78f

When you "wash/rinse" your filter are you using tap water ? If yes, Stop It !
You may be killing your BB only rinse in dechlorinated or used tank water. Never replace the pad unless it is absolutely falling apart. And then try to replace only part of your filter media and wait another month or two to replace the other part so you aren't throwing away a lot of good BB.

I feed small fish at least 2x daily, but tiny amounts. Only feed the amount they can eat in three minutes You can offer well rinsed organic Spinach or Zucchini to your snails.

Good Luck. If reducing the light doesn't get rid of the algae, then you may need to do three day black out for the green water

The snails were added at the same time the two new additions were added.

How are you acclimating new fish to your aquarium?
Depending on the LFS, some fish aren't the healthiest to begin with when you bring them home. If the water conditions between your tank and the LFS's are significantly different, then a rushed acclimation could be enough to set them over the edge.

Also, I didn't see what your water change schedule was. If nitrate has been slowly creeping higher and higher, then it may have reached a level that's too high to keep fish healthy. I'd definitely recommend getting a proper test kit for nitrite and nitrate.

Assuming you're using some sort of water conditioner/de-chlorinator, you don't really need to test for chlorine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I read somewhere that you should not dump the LFS water into the tank. I usually put the whole bag in the tank for an hour or so to match temperatures, then I scoop out the fish and put in the tank.

I have been doing water changes once a week, maybe 20% tops.

I read somewhere that you should not dump the LFS water into the tank. I usually put the whole bag in the tank for an hour or so to match temperatures, then I scoop out the fish and put in the tank.

I have been doing water changes once a week, maybe 20% tops.

An hour is too long. You may just be building up Ammonia in the bag. It doesn't take that long to match temps.
Here is a good guide.
http://m.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=157

How much water you change is dictated by water test results. If you have ammonia present a 20% change may not drop it down far enough. If your readings are all good then a 20% change may be perfect.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.. the last fish has died and the tank water is actually worse even after a 3 day blackout.

The snails are still alive and I have done a 40% water change now that the fish are all dead. I have put the tank light on a 6hour timer and I have lowered the temperature from 80 to about 75. I am waiting on my API Master kit to come in so I can check my levels.

Is there anything else I should do at this time? Anything that won't kill the snails as well?

Thanks!

It sounds like all you can really do right now is wait for the test kit. That should help track down the problem. Sit tight :)

Back
Top Bottom