Need help ID for my barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua-fan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My barb is now aprx. 4.5 inches long. The information I find is that the redtail (Barbonymus altus) and the regular tinfoil barb (Barbonymus schwanenfeldii) both have a black marking on their dorsal fin, but the redtail lacks the red, and it also lacks the black submarginal lines on the caudal fin.
(I don't quite understand.) Does that mean the redtail has NO red in his dorsal? Also I don't know what is meant by 'black submarginal lines'.
Maybe I've got sawdust in my head but I still am confused as to whether my tinfoil is a regular one or a redtail one.
He is currently the sole inhabitant of a 38 gallon tank.
Now; if he is a true redtail, I further understand that his max. length will be 8", but if he is a regular tinfoil, he can attain 14". That is one BIG difference, so you see why I'd like to determine exactly which he is.
Now, given that information to go by, let me add some pictures -

21903-albums1063-picture7380.jpg

The fish in these pictures are left to right -
Redtail tinfoil _____My barb
Regular tinfoil_____My barb
Regular tinfoil_____My barb

so the black they are talking about will be on the point/top of the dorsal fin/.. i think its a regular tinfoil the coloring on yours looks a little dull so either im right its a regular tinfoil and your fish is just stressed which would explain the discolor or its a different fish has anything happened to stress the fish out or anything before the pics were takin?

No stress factor, this fish never seems to be bothered by anything, really.
I think you're right, he is a standard tinfoil barb - that I'm pretty convinced of now.
Here is a picture I snapped just last night of him.

21903-albums1063-picture7381.jpg

After studying this picture, I notice several black 'marginal' lines in the center part of his caudal fin. Also he 'does' have red in his dorsal and from the descriptions I've found - that's going to make him Barbonymus schwanenfeldii.

yah i agree there great fish i have two and they are quite a handful check out some pics i have on my profile and you will see the color i was talking ..maybe its because i keep the tank really warm idk any glad you could identify fish
-david

Very nice tinfoil you have there. I like your Pearl Gourami too, very nice. I had a pair of Pearls, but the female died last month. I've had them for almost 3 years. The male is still doing well though. He's taken up with a large Angel fish, and they are buddies, most of the time. When it comes to feeding time though - it's every fish for himself and they get a little pushy.
I think the reason your tinfoil has a lot more red in his fins compared to mine, is that he is probalby an adult. Mine is just 4 months old or so.

Back
Top Bottom