Need some advice on pests!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend has had issues with her tank being overrun by amphipods that are eating her zoas so she bought a wrasse and did not QT it (bad move but not my tank). It gave her other fish ich so now they are in QT and the amphipods are out of control. The wrasse was doing okay but still wasn't keeping the population down.

How can she get rid of the amphipods?

I don't know what the answer is on this one. Is there another way to rid her tank of these things? I know flatworm exit kills off a lot of pods in the process of killing flat worms. Would it kill off the amphipods as well? Would she be better off draining the tank killing off both the ich and amphipods? These things are eating her zoas and the population is increasing to the point of infestation. She could recycle in the time that her fish are in QT, just not sure that is the best thing to do. She just wants the amphipods gone. Thank you!

There are no amphipods that eat zoas. Something else is killing her corals and the pods are eating the remains.

Well, these must be amazingly rare, since I only see this type-
Amphipod1.jpg
in closed systems. I still don't believe amphipods(the one pictured) eat healthy corals. I've not seen this, or heard of it in my short time in this hobby, and I still go out of my way to keep their population strong.
Of course they will eat coral, but not healthy coral IMO.
My aptasia eating filefish-
images
does nothing but eats amphipods and copepods. He nipped at a few corals early on, but lost interest since.
Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom