need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milmokes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank, which includes live rock (not sure how much), a hitchhiker crab, which I believe he is a stone crab, which is filtered by a skilter 400 (skimmer doesn't work), lighting is one actinic and florescent bulb(not sure how many watts).
Nitrate is high. 1. Do I need a skimmer? 2. Or should I get a better filter?
3. How long do lights last? 4. I want to turn this into a reef tank and was wondering what type of lighting I should use or is this good enough. The bulbs are more than 2 years. Finally, all my fish died due to a high ammonia spike caused by 2 year old daughter dumping spongebob squarepants cookies into the tank. I got the ammonia and nitrite at 0, but nitrate still high. 5. What fish is a good starter for the reef tank? Any help is appreciated.

You probably have 24" bulbs at 20W a piece over the tank... (a 29 is one of those odd tank sizes which doesn't have a corresponding bulb length). 2 years is much to old for anything except fish. Normal fluorescents last 6 months, while CF and VHO can last to 12 months on a good ballast. Look into a 2-4x65 CF fixture, they may even make one for a 30" tank.

Without knowing a rough figure of LR its hard to say if it is enough filtration. How much does it "fill the tank"?

5ppm nitrates isn't bad at all

A skimmer is always a good thing.

Occel and Percula clowns are rather hardy.

theatrus said:
Look into a 2-4x65 CF fixture, they may even make one for a 30" tank.
Agreed you'd actually be able to keep a wide variety of corals with PC lights but I think you meant 2x65w PC, 4x65w would be too long for the tank(typically 48"). Current USA makes a stock 30" fixture. Check the sponsor forums, many offer AA members discounts.

Cheers
Steve

I would say there is probably about 30-40 lbs of live rock. It takes up between a third and half the tank I would say.

That's actually a good amount of rock for biofiltration. I'd check the fish compatibilty on the home page and make a "wish list" of the fish you'd like and then get feedback on it. Much easier that way and it opens up more possibilties.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom