Need some advise on starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfishtoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have someone eating my banded serpent starfish, found one almost completly eaten this morning.:( here is list of fish in my tank and the tank is 120 gallon.
1-blue chromis
2-male/female cinnamon clownfish
1-purple pseudochromis
1-yellow tang
1-black/white butterfly fish
3-yellow damselfish
1-scooter benny
Can you tell me which fish it could be.

Neither really, but if I had to pick the most capable of inflicting any damage it would be the clowns. You sure it's not a crab of sorts or a salinity change/shock in the tank?

the tank water is good, this starfish was eaten not wasting away. I have not seen any one fish picking on starfish, for the crab or sort I have not added any or seen any in my tank yet.

Might want to try and watch the tank at night with a flashlight or something along those lines. Lots of creepy crawlies like to come out at night. You may find a culprit.

ok, will try tonight and see what we find and let you know thanks.

Try around 2am-4am as most night predators should be up at that time slot.

Also use a red covering over the light...or a red lens.

well looked twice last night with flashlight and seen no crab, will try with a red lens cover tonight around 2:00am to 4:00am and see if I see anything again. Thanks for all the information.

The red will allow you to see them and it won't scare off the night time critters.

also notice a poping noise coming from tank, not a steady poping but one pop and after awhile you hear another poping sound. well I will keep looking. is there a crab trap I can make and leave in tank overnight ?
thanks

A single pop could be a pistol shrimp. Neat little buggars to have.

Hello, well its been a few nights now and I no shrimp or crab has been found. Still hear a clicking noise every night, one or two clicks. I will keep looking for awhile. Thanks for all the help and information.

Hi, been checking every night with a red light, found not shrimp yet, started putting a trap in tank with chunk of meat in the corner at night. I made the trap from a 16oz water bottle and cut top off and reversed it. If not I will have to move my live rock around to try and find this guy. He has eaten a starfish and now starting on my sandshifting star. I hope this works before moving live rock around and making a big mess. If anyone can tell me another way to catch this shrimp please do so!

Back
Top Bottom