Need to downsize, any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have realized maintaining a 75g reef tank with “people and roombas” is beyond my ability to keep aesthetic for several reasons. I also hate having the tank just sit there getting more overgrown with neglect. I do have a dry 29 Biocube ready and waiting to receive gifts from it’s mother tank which will come to hold hardy freshwater fish that are so much cheaper while still paying debts. Turns out fish don’t count as dependents? I have a great hubby that won’t be home for two weeks at a time, so as long as a stopping point is reached and picked up, he will be thrilled with the results.

I have a clear vision of what I want to keep, and I think the process involved (at least my experience with upgrading/moving). But what advice do you wish had known to make the downsize easier? About cutting/breaking live rock to move/glue to new structures SAFELY?

My sand has way more bicolored hairy worms (the mostly harmless debris stays under 2”) than any kind of pods. But they are so prolific I could use the extra sand as a food source!
I have a small colony of hairy Ricordia on a large rock (with tall forests of green fern like plant). I also have 3 colonies of plain wagon wheels (almost a nuisance and brown from neglect but otherwise healthy) and some Rasta Zoas that has doubled around his original plug, but has never really been happy.

Time is my friend, I can be both patient and ruthless. I don’t want the mini-reef look but rather 3 or 4 separate islands so full of colonies that bad algae doesn’t have a chance. A pistol shrimp symbiotic pair, a blenny for fun, mini hermits, mix of snails (we like couples :ermm:) maybe a cleaner or decorative shrimp. Almost an oriental aesthetic zen type and low maintenance with scheduled water delivery to avoid having to mix.

Plus getting the Box of water on a scheduled delivery is way cheaper for a 29g vs 75g! Thinking the five gallon box every week should be sufficient to not worry about the micro testing/levels as long as the dip test shows good and everyone is fat and happy.

Finally, a post similar to my current troubles! (Although I am sure that if I were to dig deep enough, there are more unfortunate souls dealing with the pains of a breakdown or move of a tank).

As far as rock, I have not done it but I will be for my build that is currently having to wait until I move to my new apartment. With that being said, I do not have to physically do it without understanding one key concept. Make sure whatever adhesive you use, is aquarium safe! You do not want to go through all of that pain, to find that you are poisoning your own aquarium through leaching, all because "this rock" looked so much better glued to this one! They are easily found on most aquarium websites, such as bulkreefsupply. In my opinion, if you do not plan to do a whole lot of adhesive work, I would just source it out this way. If you do plan to do a lot, you can definitely research some that may be cheaper and located at most stores such as Home Depot or Lowes. DO NOT qoute me on this, because I have not purchased it in a while, but I do believe most adhesives are okay so long as there not additives such as "anti-mold." I would double check that! I would also make sure that there is not a curing process involved, as well.

If time is on your side, then I would start with my aquascape! Get it all together physically, then do it! If it turns out to not be to heavy, or if you can split it up in large sections that are not to heavy, I would then put it into my tank. Or you can just build it directly in the tank. Obviously, once that is situated you can add the sand.

Restating this just solely for the purposes of being sure I understand correctly, this is all coming from a larger tank already existing into a tank clean and ready to go. If you can get a hold of an adhesive that you are for certain is okay to use, and does not have a curing process, I would try and knock all of this out in one go! By that I mean, you have a lot of established bacteria on the rocks and sand. Why wouldn't we try to be efficient and transfer them? So, if you could get your aquascape along with your sand rocking, I would try to get the tank running in one day! That way you don't run the risk of killing your bacteria, and not so troubled about starting a "brand new cycle." I can see that as a possibility.

As far as tools go, that's a tough one. It really comes down to preference, when speaking on hand tools or electric. Only thing that needs to be correct there, is the type of blade or bit you use. A simple google search will solve that, within minutes. If you wanted to break them, instead of clean cut, I don't see why a rubber mallet and a specific bit made for chipping wouldn't work. The only reason I wouldn't use a regular hammer, is because metal on metal causes a lot of vibration, in my opinion! This may cause unwanted cracking and breaking of the rock.

I think the biocubes or nano-tanks, if you will, are some of the most interesting systems out there when they are well planned out! Also, I am a sucker for the symbiotic relationships. I like things that have "purpose" or a "job." I am not the type to just put something in there, strictly for show! That is just my preference!

I will definitely be following along! I have a 6ft aquarium that will need to be moved and I am more afraid of it cracking than I am of lifting it! Haha, but I also got such a deal on it, especially for it being brand new and never completely set up, that I have become afraid of losing the opportunity to do so! Feel free to message me if you have any certain concerns, or if you are wondering if I may have found something new that is working for me! I don't plan to begin the physical move until sometime in July, however the cleaning and breaking down process will be arriving soon! Good luck, can't wait to see the new tank!

Back
Top Bottom