Need to make glass tops - where to get parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

src

Aquarium Advice Freak
My new (pre-owned) 125 is going to be a hassle, it appears. I need to replace the glass tops (one broken, the other not the right size), and can't find any standard sizes that work. I'm going to go to a glass shop to get tempered glass pieces, but where can I get the rest? I would like to use new hinges, and the 2" rubber flap that runs along the back. I figure that I can use just about any handle I like, siliconed/superglued to the top, but the other pieces are pretty special.

Any tips? Thanks!

if you go to home depot, they cut me a peice of glass for a clock i was building for ind. tech class. just give them the measurements are they might be able to do it, a top for a 125 is big.

i dont think menards or lowes cut glass, call ahead though

As far as the hinge and the plastic backstrap goes your probably going to have to get those at a petstore. Not one of the big wharehouse types but like a smaller petstore. Most of the time they have those things sitting around in the back from glass that broke for them and they cant use it anymore. HTH

If you're not picky about what the hinge is made of (how it looks colourwise or what have you), your local home depot will have them...though I guess thye'd all be metal...but if you went to a glass shop for the glass (likely, with the size you need), they'd pre-drill your glass for you if you gave them the layout

Thanks, everyone. Regarding Home Depot - they don't do glass, at least not in my area. Lowes does, but they didn't have tempered.

I'll check with the local shops regarding the hinge and "backstrap" (is that the correct term, or do I just say "that rubber part along the back that you cut up to make holes for your accessories"?).

Regarding the handle, I'm leaning towards using silicone adhesive to attach it to the lid, although that won't look as clean as superglue. But I've just had bad luck with gluing things to glass to trust the superglue.

src said:
Thanks, everyone. Regarding Home Depot - they don't do glass, at least not in my area. Lowes does, but they didn't have tempered.

Tempered has to be cut before tempering.

[/quoteI'll check with the local shops regarding the hinge and "backstrap" (is that the correct term, or do I just say "that rubber part along the back that you cut up to make holes for your accessories"?).[/quote]

I am not sure that there is a correct term....backflap and backsplash are others occasionally used in the trade, too.

Regarding the handle, I'm leaning towards using silicone adhesive to attach it to the lid, although that won't look as clean as superglue. But I've just had bad luck with gluing things to glass to trust the superglue.

A good, two-part epixy glue will work a treat, too...you can also pick this up at most glazing supply shops. CR Lawrence ( http://www.crlaurence.com ) is where I buy my stuff.

Lonewolfblue said:
For the 125G, they say to use this....

CD-114980 72" x 18"
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3781&N=2004+113765

On that page, click on the More Info button...

The tank is 60", not 72. I can't find a pre-made top anywhere that is the right size.

maxwell1295 said:
You can buy the hinige and backstrip in 6ft lengths also:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13819&N=2004+113765

If you already have the glass, just add the handle and your glass top is complete.

THANK YOU! Don't know how I missed that, I've been all over that site the last couple of days. I guess I'll place another order now (got a big one shipping today already).

Back
Top Bottom