New 20L (4.4gallon) Curve Edged Fish Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevehicks123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Just signed up to this site as it seems the friendliest forum I have come across and would like some general advice. Please note I am a complete novice at any of this but have done quite a bit of research (with conflicting results!)

Please could someone help with my (probably very basic) questions? And if at all possible give me a gentle nudge in the right direction? :)

I have picked up a conservatively sized fish tank, 20L here in the UK, I believe it's about 4.4gallons to you guys across the pond.

I know that it isn't huge so I wont be stocking it with tons of fish / shrimp etc. Could you guys advise on the following:-

* Should I keep it unheated? Less maintenance but restricts me to a smaller selection of fish. Should I heat it? (I have a filter and pump)

* Is two or three smallish fish the advised amount for this size of tank? If so could you specify some names that I may be able to pick up over here?

* The tank I have picked up looks like this (http://www.mjhub.biz/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Decco_O_Fish_Tank_1.jpg) The black one on the left (This one isn't mine, its an example online before anyone comments on it) Given its shape I am slightly restricted to decoration options; does anyone have any clever ideas or throughts with regards to decoration?

Many thanks

Steve

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new myself but I might be able to help you out here.

As far as heating goes, I'd say yes to one, most any fish you get will need one, and even with cold water fish, it's best to keep the temp stable than let it fluctuate somewhere around room temperature. It's really not any more maintenance than unheated, just gotta glance at the thermometer once a day to make sure it's okay.

I'm not too sure how much help I can be with stocking. Since the tank is bowl shaped it restricts you more because most fish like the horizontal space to swim. I'd say since it's close to 5 gallons though you could probably do a betta? Perhaps there are some micro fish that would be okay too but I'm not familiar with many of those. Also I'm guessing the center bubbler/filter thing is built in? If so you might have to watch how strong it is, as bettas don't like a whole lot of current.

As for decorations, there's a huge variety of artificial plants and stuff that would probably look cool, maybe surround that center piece with plants or rocks? You could also go live plants, some easy ones that don't need ferts/much light would be anubias, java fern, and Java moss, all of which can be attached to rocks or wood with some string and placed wherever you want.

I would think this would work best as a betta tank.

In that case, you will need to heat it as they prefer 75 to 85 degrees as their water temperature. You could also add some Red cherry shrimp, but this can be hit or miss with a betta as they will sometimes gleefully hunt the adults.

Decorations - I would suggest a layer of sand and some plants. Possibly a small piece of driftwood. The sand will allow you to plant crypts (which will need root tabs) and java fern can be tied to the piece of driftwood. These natural plants will also give your shrimp a place to hide. Other plants that would work are anubias, bolbitis, or java moss.

heated

Thanks for the initial replies.
I am certainly considering the heater option now that you mention the constant water temperature. Also opens up the option of the java fern (Thanks Mebbid) like the sound of this alot (the sand and driftwood idea etc)

Also liking the idea of the Betta, they have some very nice red ones I have my eye on as it will match the decor of the lounge! :brows:

Maybe a daft question but price wise, how would roughly would a Betta fish cost? Also the same for java fern etc, is it expensive?

Until I can get down the local aquarium store at the weekend I can't check and the excitement is killing me :lol::fish2:

Thanks for the initial replies.
I am certainly considering the heater option now that you mention the constant water temperature. Also opens up the option of the java fern (Thanks Mebbid) like the sound of this alot (the sand and driftwood idea etc)

Also liking the idea of the Betta, they have some very nice red ones I have my eye on as it will match the decor of the lounge! :brows:

Maybe a daft question but price wise, how would roughly would a Betta fish cost? Also the same for java fern etc, is it expensive?

Until I can get down the local aquarium store at the weekend I can't check and the excitement is killing me :lol::fish2:

Betta - It depends.

Common LFS ones will cost around $5 - $10
These prices have a wide range though based on their breeding. For example, the betta in my profile pic cost $50

Plants - It depends on where you get them and how big they are. I would expect around $5 for each plant.

I will just say one thing, please please no fake plants in this tank unless they are silk. The betta will rip up his fins on plastic plants!

But I agree betta only tank. You could add a small size snail without any problems as well.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Will do Serena, I fully intend on investing in this properly and will only buy the best stuff available whether that's silk or real plants.

Seen many an attempt at fish tanks and some can look horrendously tacky :blink:

Back
Top Bottom