New 24 Nano Cube what to put in it!! What Fish, heater,...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I just made the plunge and ordered a 24 gallon nano cube deluxe (upgrading from my 6 gal eclipse). Now I have to decide how I am going to set this up. I know I want a freshwater tank with plants (no CO2) and some interesting fish (with personality that will come say hi to me when I get home). So I will list what points I need help with.

1.) What heater does everyone recommend and what size for 24 gal (I don't mind using an overpowered heater). I have heard good things about the stealths, opinions?

2.) What substrate?? I definitely want this tank to look natural, yet I am completely undecided about what natural habitat I want. I have sand in my 6 gal because of my Dwarf Puffer. I wouldn't mind going with sand again, it definitely keeps things cleaner (even though it looks dirtier and is a tad difficult to suck up without taking too much sand). Should I use some sort of under layer for the plants?

3.) The biggie... What fish!
I want bigger fish, I don't mind so much about variety. So I would say about 3 fish or possibly only one fish. So guys (and gals) give me some advice on some interesting fish that I could house. Fish that would grow to the correct size to max out a 24 gal. Are there any other freshwater puffers besides the DP which aren't ridiculously expensive.

I will also take suggestions for other stocking options including more smaller fish. But remember guys, this has to be a "cool" tank, so make um interesting.

4.) What do you guys think about the 24 gal nanocube? I guess this isn't the time to be starting buyers remorse. I liked it because of the relatively compact size for 24 gal as I live in a relatively small place and I will be potentially moving in the near future therefore the acrylic is nice. Also I don't want to have to worry about breaking glass.

Thanks in advance!!

With heaters you need 5 watts per gallon so a 150w heater is more than enough. I prefer submersible titanium heaters. Although it's a bit pricey the Won Pro Titanium II will provide years of trouble free accurate service.

I would use a natural color gravel. Without CO2 you don't need any special plant substrate as nutrient uptake will be limited. Keeping the grain size at about 2mm will make it easier for the plants to root. Not too large and not too small.

The fun part is stocking the tank. What's cool and interesting to one may not be the same to another. I find cichlids to have the most personality but you're limited by the size of the tank.

Being that time is on your side the best advice I could give you is this. Do a little window shopping at the retail places near you. See what fish peak your interest and what is readily available. Then come back here with your favorites and we can discuss the pros and cons.

Back
Top Bottom