New 40-55G Stocking and Setup Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beast1605

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all and thanks for looking into my thread.​

I am relatively new to having my own aquariums but have grown up with them my whole life. I started young with large predatory fish and now at nearly 30 im looking into this new world of "Nano Fish" for freshwater. Thus far ive found Celestial Pearl Danios and have been captivated by their beauty, size, and behavior. For this reason i am setting up a 40 gallon aquarium with the CPDs as the main attraction and would love input on tank mates for them. So far ive found a few types of small cory cats and even the moth or stoner cat to be great candidates for bottom feeder tank mates. Im also looking into Danio Erythomicron as a smaller schooling group. My main concern is just a show fish like some sparkling gourami or liquorice gourami or possibly a ram. Again im looking for any input from anyone thats dealt with these small fish. My tank will be running 2 Aquaclear 30 powerfilters with Fluval edge pre filter sponges to help keep these little delicate fish from becoming filter food. My tank will also be heavily planted with java moss, dwarf water lettuce, planted hornswort, and some dwarf hair grass with the rest of my taller plants being artificial for simplicities sake. Again any input on the species or filtration is welcome but please try to be nice in your comments to myself and others heated debates are welcome but no opinion bashing please. Thanks again for reading!

THE TANK IS 40 GALLONS STANDARD SIZE WITH A SINGLE 24" FLUORESCENT LIGHT INSIDE ITS HOOD

Additionally the 1st uploaded photo is a Celestial Pearl Danio hybrid bred with the Danio Erythromicron, quite the awesome looking little fish i wouldnt mind having one day if they manage to breed and survive naturally in the tank.

Attachments

• Celestial Pearl Danio Hybrid 2.jpg
    Celestial Pearl Danio Hybrid 2.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 77
I'd go with the small gouramis and maybe throw in a small shoal of the other danios. CPD are very hard to show up as for motion and color. For the bottom stick with corys, they are a great clean up crew.

Thanks

I planned on adding danio erythromicron to the mix to see if any hybrids make it in the tank naturally. I doubt this will happen with my corys and both fish being egg eaters.

The picks on gourami thus far are three types of liquorice gourami, the giant red, the filament, and the blue line.

Back
Top Bottom