New 40B setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, I've been lurking for a little while doing some research! I've had tanks when I was a kid/young teen but never really set one up myself besides some "help".

Now that I'm older and have kids of my own that love fish in general, my wife and I have decided to put together something nice! This will be a new setup, for a beginner. I don't want to rush anything and do something wrong, so any help and pointers would be great!

We jumped on the sale going on at Petco and got an Aqueon 40-gallon breeder tank!

I'll start with the basic things I'm looking to start cycling the tank! Suggestions, changes and you're picks welcomed!

Filter
- Fluval C Power Filter or Aqua Clear Filter
If I go with the Fluval would I need the C3 (20 to 50g) or the C4 (40 to 70g)?
If I go with the Aqua Clear, the 50 (20 to 50g) or the 70 (40 to 70g)?

Heater
- Aqueon Adjustable Pro
100 or 150W?

Hood/Lid
Not sure here, should I go with a hood with LED or a glass top and light with brackets? Any suggestions? I've found these;
- Aqueon Versa-Top for 30 & 40 Breeder Aquariums Hinged/Clear
- Aqueon LED Background Hood 36"

Air Pump
Suggestions? I'd like to add an air bar/tube.

API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Seachem Prime 500ml
Marina Floating Thermometer with Suction Cup
Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System
NLS Thera A Regular
Fish Net

Anything I'm missing? Other than decorations? Is there a certain brand/type of gravel people suggest or any kind is ok?

I'll ask about stocking at a later time, don't want to get carried away on my first post!

Thanks!

I vote fluval!
Although I don’t have the C filter.
Apart from one tmc reef pump.....
All the filters in my fish house are fluval.

Figure out the gph of the filters. Shoot for 8-10x tank turnover. So 320 gph to 400 gph.

Go with a 150w but I would try to get a 200w.

Either lid is fine. Go with what you like.

Go with an air pump and stones or air driven sponge filter. Shoot for an air pump rated up to 60g.

Sand or gravel is your most basic substrate.

Depending on the fish you are going to get will gauge your filtration needs and substrate needs. It's probably a good idea to know what fish you want prior to setting up your tank.

Back
Top Bottom