New 40g In Calgary, Alberta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've moved from the FW to SW tank hobby. I'm just wondering if there's anyone in Calgary, Alberta that can recommend a good LFS to buy stuff from (or tell me to keep away from), and if anyone in Canada has bought any LR, fish, coral over the internet and what Canada Customs had to say about it?

I purchased LR from LR.com and it was delivered with relatively little hassle at customs.

LR.com is very cautious, but knows what paperwork is required and can do it. In my opinion, I have yet to find any LFS that has LR that is even close to the quality of LR.com.

In my case, customs flagged the shipment for inspection. This caused DHL to automatically reschedule delivery for 24 hours later. Customs cleared the shipment less than 2 hours after than without even opening the box. I went to DHL depot and picked the shipment up, rather than wait the additional 24 hours to have DHL deliver.

As far as I know, I may still be the only Canadian purchaser from LR.com. That was about 8 months ago.

Here in Calgary, the only places to buy from are Ocean's Aquarium (Centre St. N), Wai's Aquarium (16th Ave NE), Gold Aquarium (17th Ave. SE), and Riverfront Aquariums (downtown). Prrobably the best quality LR right now is at Oceans or Golds.

Thanks for the shops. I went to Oceans and was really turned off. The guys there had a great looking shop with a nice spread but it was like he didn't have the time of day for me. Probably did help anything that I didn't walk in there with an open wallet asking him to set me up either. I'll try a couple of the other ones tomorrow.

Petey said:
Thanks for the shops. I went to Oceans and was really turned off. The guys there had a great looking shop with a nice spread but it was like he didn't have the time of day for me. Probably did help anything that I didn't walk in there with an open wallet asking him to set me up either. I'll try a couple of the other ones tomorrow.

Expect the same from Danny Wai....just the way most marine shops are here until they get to know you.

Offtopic:

The skiings great, been out a couple times and I've never seen this much snow so early. If you can get past the -25C (-13F) is pretty good!

(Your right I am joking, its better!)

Skiing is incredible.....something like 6"-12" of fresh powder on most of the hills in the past 30 hours, plus bases of 4'+, which is rare this early on in the year.

well back to the whole fish thing golds has a great price on shrimp 15 bucks for cleaners and 20 for fire shrimp wich is half what everyone else sells them for

2 fire shrimp and a powerhead got me 20 mins of trouble from the wife but it was worth it

Back
Top Bottom