new 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so my dad has been wanting to set up his tank for 15 years, well the time has come, we have built the stand and it is all ready to go. He has kept reefs before he isnt quite sure if he wants a reef this time or not, but he was wondering what filtration he should use, no sump or trickle system, we dont have the space, so what filtering system would you guys recommend? thanks :)

canister filtration, but natural filtration is the best. live rock and micro algaes with some mechanical filtration.

you don't have space for a 20g sump below the tank?

well not really, the tank and stand are fairly skinny and i dont think we will have room for a sump. What exactly is natural filtration ( live rock, substrate ...??? ) what about an under gravel filter maybe with some mechanical filteration?

try and avoid under gravel filters.

by natural filtration i mean live rock, substrate and micro algaes. you can get 20 gallons that are 30 inches long by 12 inches wide and high. my girlfriend has one for her turtles for now. you can also use rubber maid containers to make a sump/refugium which houses, is a great place to house micro algaes and raise isopods or copipods that some fish feed on

good idea f you go the reef route thats the best way to go. with a fish only you can go with a canister filter or a large hang on power filter and skimmer

oh i forgot to say a skimmer is needed and one of the most effective filtrations even on a reef so invest in one of those

Back
Top Bottom