New betta mom from FL. -- bought very sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crystalcrab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am, for many years, 20 + a gold fish person. Found myself is an unmentionable store yesterday and on the shelf was labeled a crowntail Betta? It was swimming in it's own yuck laying on it's side and greyish color. He is missing one half of his fins? the big one in the back? Only the spikes are left. I paid the $7.00 for the fish. I didn't want to bring him to the manager in fear he wouldn't let me leave with it. The water and the cup were stained with brown gunk. Got it home and read like crazy on the internet about bettas, I changed him to a bowl (for now) will get bigger when I know he's going to make it. put tap water, jungle buddy tab., top fin water cond., and Melafix fish first aid drops The water is at 80 degrees with thermometer, will have to add treated water to keep temp. steady, but This morning he flared at me a few times, all big and puffy, with the fins that he's got left. Don't know if he's mad or glad.. We will see..

Be careful not to overdose with melafix I have read articles that the tea tree oil can be toxic to labyrinth fish. I personally have used it with bettas in the tank before and they were fine, but I used half the dose. They make a medication called bettafix which is basically just melafix in a diluted form. Good luck with him, keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom