New Chocolate chip starfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelby1712

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was given a chocolate chip starfish about 3 days ago. It seems to be doing good and looks healthy still. The only thing is that he is just sitting on a powerhead at the top of the tank and never comes down. He does move around but never leaves the powerhead. Is this normal? Also I have no idea what or how to feed it? Can it be handled or does it have spines??

I need help. Ive been researching for the past few days but can't find any good answers to my questions.

well let me tell you he will not be reef safe i use to have one and it was nice then gets bigger and would down a cocktail shirmp a few times a week. when mine was little i use to soak brine shrimp pellets in selcon and just feed him twice a week. when he got bigger it was a few piece of uncooked still in the shell shrimp, clams, scallops. and mine usuallu hung out at the top of the tank some days and move across the bottom others. also you can pick him up but DO NOT let him touch the air!!! air can and will become traped in its system and will DIE. however the star will come up out of the water and this is fine, he is doing that himself. so long as you dont mind losing a snail every once and a while their really cool. i use to hand feed mine but that took to long and just started putting it on a feeding clip and let him come to it when he was hungry. just make sure to keep him fed well and he might not bother others.
have fun watchin
ohh and another tip if you need him moved just lightly tap him and he will usually let go and you can then move him.

ohh i forget but make sure ammonia and nitrate nitrite very very low as any invert they will not survive very long and it will be a big nasty mush mess

cc stars hang off the side of the tank right at the top to feed i have 1 who hangs under the filter so the water pours right onto him,if you feed it well they will move around the tank more than just sit at the top and if you do have to move them just wiggle it a little and they will let go most of the time ,if it wont let go dont force it i have a friend who pulled off a bunch of legs close to its mouth and its still growing them back a year latter

those were just the answers i was looking for. And actually today he is out and moving all around. He looks to be doing great. I don't have and corals or anything so i think it'll be perfect for my tank.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Back
Top Bottom