New here and need suggestions and advice : )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55tanker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heylo! Sorry this post will be a bit long.

I have an empty 55 gallon tank, canister filter, heater and thermometer. I have a month to prepare everything and won't start up my tank until the 1st week of August when I move into my new place.

I'm worried they're all going to die because they always all die so I am going to plan and learn as much so I can keep them alive for years starting by asking questions on here and reading other people's post. I'm excited about starting up again but at the same time nervous if I can keep them alive. It's been years since I've had fish.

I want an aquarium with any kind of freshwater fish and live plants and throw a couple of shrimps. The smaller their max size, the better, so I can have a lot of variety. I also want to buy them in pairs.

If the rule is a gallon per inch and if their max size is between 1-4, that would give me 18 fish and so 9 types. I've done some research and there's about 35 types of fish I have saved on a word documents that are said to be easy to take care of and under 4".

What do you guys think of my idea? Any advice and suggestion on what flaw or things I'm missing in this plan and what I need to learn would be appreciated.

Last and most important, do you buy your fish online and if so where? The only store in my city is a Petco and a small local store.

Start by looking into fishless cycling . Live plants are the way to go . You can get as simple or as complicated as you want . And joining here is the best thing you could have done...check out the freshwater getting started section . Also check out the planted tank forum .

Start by looking into fishless cycling . Live plants are the way to go . You can get as simple or as complicated as you want . And joining here is the best thing you could have done...check out the freshwater getting started section . Also check out the planted tank forum .

I binged "fishless cycling" and this is the first thing that came up in the search result: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...e-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283-176.html

Wow, that sounds really long to do. Like weeks. The thing is I move into my new place the first week of August. And for the first time ever, I have to pay for water. Hmm.. I guess I can do that before my housemate moves in mid-August so she doesn't see how much water I'm wasting to cycle the tank to demand me to pay more.

Wouldn't getting a dozen feeder fish be easier? Now I know why my fish never last. I don't know anything about water control.

Not being rude , but maybe you should rethink having fish at all....lol Fish in cycling takes a lot more water unless you just let the fish suffer till the tank is cycled or they die . And you need to do weekly water changes even after it is cycled , so if that will be a problem with a roommate I would consider another pet .

I have an empty 55 gallon tank, canister filter, heater and thermometer. I have a month to prepare everything and won't start up my tank until the 1st week of August when I move into my new place.

I'm worried they're all going to die because they always all die so I am going to plan and learn as much so I can keep them alive for years starting by asking questions on here and reading other people's post. I'm excited about starting up again but at the same time nervous if I can keep them alive. It's been years since I've had fish.

I want an aquarium with any kind of freshwater fish and live plants and throw a couple of shrimps. The smaller their max size, the better, so I can have a lot of variety. I also want to buy them in pairs.

If the rule is a gallon per inch and if their max size is between 1-4, that would give me 18 fish and so 9 types. I've done some research and there's about 35 types of fish I have saved on a word documents that are said to be easy to take care of and under 4".

What do you guys think of my idea? Any advice and suggestion on what flaw or things I'm missing in this plan and what I need to learn would be appreciated.

Last and most important, do you buy your fish online and if so where? The only store in my city is a Petco and a small local store.

Before I start, I agree with the person above that said that fishkeeping might not be best for you if you don't have the time, money and patience for it. However, if you do....

A few things:

1. What plants are you thinking of? Live plants need good lighting. What lighting do you intend on using?
2. DO NOT GO BY THE GALLON PER INCH RULE! It's one of the worst that newbies tend to follow (I myself did once). Just think of it, would a 10 inch fish go in a 10 gallon? NO! The rule's sometimes good but generally not a great one for stocking. For stocking I would recommend a website called AqAdvisor. You can enter in all your tank specs and play around with what inhabitants you want to add.
3. What types of fish would you like to add? I wouldn't suggest getting pairs of many species like guppies (they need a F2:M1 ratio), danios (should have around 5 in a group) or tetras (schools are best). Have you thought of top, middle and bottom dwellers? I think cory cats are a good idea. You should get a few of them and they're pretty lively and good for cleaning.
4. There are quite a few reputable online sites but I live in Canada so I stick to my local stores. Assuming you're located in the US (since you mentioned PetCo) you should have quite a few options with online shopping. There's always AquaBid and the Classifieds section on here that you can buy from.
5. Small stores are great, but can't say the same about ones like PetCo. Generally, I wouldn't trust the majority of chain pet store employees. I've had horrible experiences with them but some have had great ones. I'd suggest that before you listen to the employee you verify that the decision that you're making is good on here :) That way, there's little chance of going wrong!

Sorry this is so long, I just remember when I first got serious with fishkeeping and I could've used a book on fish or two then. Luckily, you have this forum to help you out ;)

Always ask questions!

Happy Fishkeeping,
Namirah

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Few fish thrive in "pairs". They will tend to stress out.

A 55g is a great size. But since they are a bit taller, they can be a little trickier to light. Cheapest is 2 four foot shop lights T8s that are 6,500K

LEDs are cheapest to run and don't burn out, but a good unit like Planted Plus 24/7 cost more upfront.

My 55g Stocking list is evolving
8 Corydoras sterbai
20 Neons
4-5 Densonii Barbs
1 Farlowella vittata
6 Otos

Maybe 1 Angel or 1 Pearl Gourami later.

My group of Neons make a great display. If I had a mishmash of fish, they'd tend to hide or fight or die young from stress.

You can have a few different groups of small fish.
For example
10 Neons
10 Glowlights
OR
10 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Cherry Barbs ( include females ).
Then bottom of tank
6 Cory Cats
1 BN Pleco

The key is add fish gradually. Keep testing water and change part of it weekly or as needed.

Live plants can be grown under cheap lights...but research easy lowlight plants like Java Fern, Anubias and Crypts.

Once I add a black background my 55g tank will really look better.
94f02a14dccee4e522bc004facaa852f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not being rude , but maybe you should rethink having fish at all....lol Fish in cycling takes a lot more water unless you just let the fish suffer till the tank is cycled or they die . And you need to do weekly water changes even after it is cycled , so if that will be a problem with a roommate I would consider another pet .

I don't know if it'll be a problem but it's better that she see's fish in it while I do water change then them seeing me changing an empty tank everyday for a month. It does seem like a waste of water whether or not I have a housemate. I dunno, if problem arises, then I'll figure it out.

I don't want a 55 gallon, filters and random stuff go to waste. I bought the filter a couple years ago that were like $75 bucks and I have not used it once.

Before I start, I agree with the person above that said that fishkeeping might not be best for you if you don't have the time, money and patience for it. However, if you do....

A few things:

1. What plants are you thinking of? Live plants need good lighting. What lighting do you intend on using?
2. DO NOT GO BY THE GALLON PER INCH RULE! It's one of the worst that newbies tend to follow (I myself did once). Just think of it, would a 10 inch fish go in a 10 gallon? NO! The rule's sometimes good but generally not a great one for stocking. For stocking I would recommend a website called AqAdvisor. You can enter in all your tank specs and play around with what inhabitants you want to add.
3. What types of fish would you like to add? I wouldn't suggest getting pairs of many species like guppies (they need a F2:M1 ratio), danios (should have around 5 in a group) or tetras (schools are best). Have you thought of top, middle and bottom dwellers? I think cory cats are a good idea. You should get a few of them and they're pretty lively and good for cleaning.
4. There are quite a few reputable online sites but I live in Canada so I stick to my local stores. Assuming you're located in the US (since you mentioned PetCo) you should have quite a few options with online shopping. There's always AquaBid and the Classifieds section on here that you can buy from.
5. Small stores are great, but can't say the same about ones like PetCo. Generally, I wouldn't trust the majority of chain pet store employees. I've had horrible experiences with them but some have had great ones. I'd suggest that before you listen to the employee you verify that the decision that you're making is good on here :) That way, there's little chance of going wrong!

Sorry this is so long, I just remember when I first got serious with fishkeeping and I could've used a book on fish or two then. Luckily, you have this forum to help you out ;)

Always ask questions!

Happy Fishkeeping,
Namirah

1. I don't know what plants. Anything that's hardy. I have bad luck with dirt plants in general so I feel like I won't be able to keep aquatic plants alive either. Plastic just doesn't look right so I don't want to go that route.

I'm thinking of getting CaribSea Eco Complete 20lb from Petco. It's a bit over $20 and I am hoping 2 bags is enough but it looks like I'll need be 3 bags.

2. That's for the AgAdvisor website! I've been playing around with it this past week.

3. I don't know. I've made a few examples but it's all in the open. As long as they're hardy.
This is the list of all easy peaceful fish and shrimp I'm thinking of:
AquStockImage.php

Another idea I have and really want more than the above is to get about 3-6 dwarf puffers and whatever fish that can live with it. I am loving the dwarf puffers.

The reason why I wanted 2 of each is so I know who's who. Have names for them. More than that, I don't know if I can keep track of them. But yeah, I think getting 3 or 4 of the same kind would be fine also and don't need the less than 4" rule just to get more fish options that doesn't need to be in a big school.

I haven't thought of top, midddle or bottom dwellers. Is there a website to find fish based on those?

4. Are the plants on Aquabid cheaper than Petco and worth it even with shipping?

Thanks for your help. I'm overhwelmed by all the options of fish and how much you need to know to keep them alive. It's not easy! I'm learning what I did all wrong when I was younger!

Few fish thrive in "pairs". They will tend to stress out.

A 55g is a great size. But since they are a bit taller, they can be a little trickier to light. Cheapest is 2 four foot shop lights T8s that are 6,500K

LEDs are cheapest to run and don't burn out, but a good unit like Planted Plus 24/7 cost more upfront.

My 55g Stocking list is evolving
8 Corydoras sterbai
20 Neons
4-5 Densonii Barbs
1 Farlowella vittata
6 Otos

Maybe 1 Angel or 1 Pearl Gourami later.

My group of Neons make a great display. If I had a mishmash of fish, they'd tend to hide or fight or die young from stress.

You can have a few different groups of small fish.
For example
10 Neons
10 Glowlights
OR
10 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Cherry Barbs ( include females ).
Then bottom of tank
6 Cory Cats
1 BN Pleco

The key is add fish gradually. Keep testing water and change part of it weekly or as needed.

Live plants can be grown under cheap lights...but research easy lowlight plants like Java Fern, Anubias and Crypts.

Once I add a black background my 55g tank will really look better.
94f02a14dccee4e522bc004facaa852f.jpg

Thanks. I'll look into the shop lights you said. I'm shocked how expensive lightings are! They're $50-100+ on average for 55g!
That is such a pretty tank. I hope I don't give up and can have a decent looking tank.

I bought the tank during $1/gallon at Petco and now I know why it's so cheap. To reel people in! Cause everything else cost as much or more than the tank. The stand is going to set me back ~$80(I'm thinking of DIY but I'm not shop savvy nor have any tools so I don't know if that's worth it), gravel for plants are going to set me back about $60, however lights would cost, the fish and plants would add up ~$100, and I still need to buy a set of the API test set, and whatever else I need to buy.

I don't have much money and am jealous of a lot of the pictures I see and want it but I know it's going to take me forever to get the tank looking like the experienced tanker. I've been forcing myself to set money aside for hobbies just so I have something to do and not be depressed, stressed out, have a lot of anxiety and whatnot.

I've been looking on craigslist and e-mail people with tank stand but they reply saying I have to buy the tank set and that they don't sell just the stand so it's frustrating.

I don't know if it'll be a problem but it's better that she see's fish in it while I do water change then them seeing me changing an empty tank everyday for a month. It does seem like a waste of water whether or not I have a housemate. I dunno, if problem arises, then I'll figure it out.

I don't want a 55 gallon, filters and random stuff go to waste. I bought the filter a couple years ago that were like $75 bucks and I have not used it once.

1. I don't know what plants. Anything that's hardy. I have bad luck with dirt plants in general so I feel like I won't be able to keep aquatic plants alive either. Plastic just doesn't look right so I don't want to go that route.

I'm thinking of getting CaribSea Eco Complete 20lb from Petco. It's a bit over $20 and I am hoping 2 bags is enough but it looks like I'll need be 3 bags.

2. That's for the AgAdvisor website! I've been playing around with it this past week.

3. I don't know. I've made a few examples but it's all in the open. As long as they're hardy.

This is the list of all easy peaceful fish and shrimp I'm thinking of:

AquStockImage.php

Another idea I have and really want more than the above is to get about 3-6 dwarf puffers and whatever fish that can live with it. I am loving the dwarf puffers.

The reason why I wanted 2 of each is so I know who's who. Have names for them. More than that, I don't know if I can keep track of them. But yeah, I think getting 3 or 4 of the same kind would be fine also and don't need the less than 4" rule just to get more fish options that doesn't need to be in a big school.

I haven't thought of top, midddle or bottom dwellers. Is there a website to find fish based on those?

4. Are the plants on Aquabid cheaper than Petco and worth it even with shipping?

Thanks for your help. I'm overhwelmed by all the options of fish and how much you need to know to keep them alive. It's not easy! I'm learning what I did all wrong when I was younger!

Thanks. I'll look into the shop lights you said. I'm shocked how expensive lightings are! They're $50-100+ on average for 55g!

That is such a pretty tank. I hope I don't give up and can have a decent looking tank.

I bought the tank during $1/gallon at Petco and now I know why it's so cheap. To reel people in! Cause everything else cost as much or more than the tank. The stand is going to set me back ~$80(I'm thinking of DIY but I'm not shop savvy nor have any tools so I don't know if that's worth it), gravel for plants are going to set me back about $60, however lights would cost, the fish and plants would add up ~$100, and I still need to buy a set of the API test set, and whatever else I need to buy.

I don't have much money and am jealous of a lot of the pictures I see and want it but I know it's going to take me forever to get the tank looking like the experienced tanker. I've been forcing myself to set money aside for hobbies just so I have something to do and not be depressed, stressed out, have a lot of anxiety and whatnot.

I've been looking on craigslist and e-mail people with tank stand but they reply saying I have to buy the tank set and that they don't sell just the stand so it's frustrating.

If money is a problem fishkeeping will probably be too, especially if you want expensive fish like rainbows. A fish tank is a huge investment and I would tell you to back away from fish and somehow sell off the equipment if you don't think you can spend $50+ per month. Sometimes it's more or less, but with water, electricity, equipment and inhabitants a fish tank is very expensive (at least in my experience).

Also, fish-in cycling is a lot more complicated than fishless. I'd go with fishless any day.
You'll have to have some form of shelter/plants for the fish to feel safe. When there's bullying plants always help.
I've heard good things about EcoComplete but also bad. Hope you haw luck with it.

Now do you want fish or dwarf puffers more? I don't know much about that except for the fact that they're strict carnivores. Food is likely to be more expensive.
Some species will bully (I have bad experience with tetras and nipping) so the bigger the school the better. I suggest 5 for those species.
I've never actually used AquaBid but I know a lot of people love it since you can buy plants in bulk for cheaper.

And no problem. I understand how hard fishkeeping is now but I had no idea about any of this at the beginning. You're going to be frustrated and angry and sad at times but once you have your 'perfect' tank, with everyone alive and happy (as can be in a fish tank) you'll know it was worth it. :)

I have a really heavy table/tv stand? that is currently holding my 50" tv. I was wondering if that would hold up the tank. It is like 100lb or maybe 200? I can't even lift on one end for an inch if I wanted to. It looks and feel really sturdy. I just don't know if it can hold the weight of a tank. Do you think it'll hold up being so heavy itself? I got it at the thrift store so I don't know the brand name to search it. I get the feeling it's really expensive because of whatever real wood that makes it hella heavy and it looks like it's built well looking inside it.

There is no leg on the back, it's bare see through all the way. So the legs are just the two you see on the left and right.
img_3369265_0_68cf848089319133fb00d05c8224e8a9.jpg

Safe to set the tank on this quality stand? 28 inch tall, 66 inch wide 18 long. The bottom space is 7 1/2 inch high, that's why you can see everything under it, lol. I really love this table. I just hate how it can be so freaking heavy.

You can get sand free or cheap on Craigslist. Or find your local Aquarium Club. Just learn what types work.

Plants? Buy from members on here or join The Planted Tank forums or there are several websites for plants. I've bought several times from TPT members. Only one bad result, but weather was a factor

Puffers should have their own tank. Not good community fish.

eBay and Amazon can also help you price shop.

The stand you have may work, but make sure the tank fits on it.

That tank is going to weight 500lbs+ when it's full. I would test that stand.

Often furniture is held together by a few small dowels at joints.

I don't know if I would trust that stand without testing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Ditto on the above post. I would not trust that tv stand on a large tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

To the OP,
I believe you should just concentrate on the cycle before anything else, yes it's a timely proposition but it is the only way to go. This is the time when you need to take a step back and let the cycling do its job.
If you must have fish in the tank from the beginning, you can do a fish in cycle using some of the more hardy fish, it will require frequent water changes and monitoring of some water parameters.
I won't get into the details of the cycling since there are so many articles on this topic for both fish in and fishless.
Fish keeping does not have to be an expensive hobby other than the initial investment and some fish and since you already have a tank and a filter, you're half way there.
For sand or gravel, pool filter sand is used often, not messy and cheap, also you won't need that many water changes doing a fishless cycle I believe, but I've never done the fishless cycle.
Shop lights as mentioned are a great economical choice as well, I've used them in planted tanks but found out running them or any other lights for long hours on a daily basis can run the electric bill up some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use an $8 timer on my lights. I run lights 6-8 hours daily. My big tank with High Output lights I run during non Peak energy hours to keep costs down. My area 12-6pm is more expensive.

I have a really heavy table/tv stand? that is currently holding my 50" tv. I was wondering if that would hold up the tank. It is like 100lb or maybe 200? I can't even lift on one end for an inch if I wanted to. It looks and feel really sturdy. I just don't know if it can hold the weight of a tank. Do you think it'll hold up being so heavy itself? I got it at the thrift store so I don't know the brand name to search it. I get the feeling it's really expensive because of whatever real wood that makes it hella heavy and it looks like it's built well looking inside it.

There is no leg on the back, it's bare see through all the way. So the legs are just the two you see on the left and right.
img_3372762_0_68cf848089319133fb00d05c8224e8a9.jpg

Safe to set the tank on this quality stand? 28 inch tall, 66 inch wide 18 long. The bottom space is 7 1/2 inch high, that's why you can see everything under it, lol. I really love this table. I just hate how it can be so freaking heavy.

So, believe it or not, I actually have my 55g on a stand just like this. Mine is made of solid wood and has the 3rd leg in the middle for stability. I don't know what yours is made out of, but it takes at LEAST 3 people to move mine. My first 55g has been sitting on it for years. I'd test it, but I've done alright with mine. As your starting out, a fishless cycle is a good place to go. However, take this time as an opportunity to figure out the decor/plant arrangement you want in your tank without disturbing fish. :) Look at it as a planning phase, since you have to wait it out anyway.

Don't let the monthly finances scare you off, either. Once your tank is well established, the fish tank itself will bring you joy for years. You'll find a spot and time where it'll click and run like a rolex. :)

I agree with the person who said to buy fewer species and more of each species. Generally, fish like to be in groups of their own, not alone or in pairs. So 18 fish of nine species won't make any of them happy. Plus each species has its own water parameters and trying to satisfy nine species (unless they are all closely related) won't be easy. Start slow and small and with one or two groups of species and watch your water parameters and you will do ok.

Back
Top Bottom