New Hermit Crab... What Do I Need To Know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

My wife just brought home a hermit crab, I know hermit move to new shells when they grow, How many shells should I put in the tank, and is there a way to know when or how long it will be untill they need one?

Is there anything else about a hermit crab I should know?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I have a related question. I have had crabs for a few months now, (he he) One of them moved into a new shell a while back and he is getting big. I had a few of them die off, people mentioned that they might be fighting for real estate (bigger shells)

My question is, where can a guy buy empty shells so that his hermit crabs can upgrade and be happy?

As for what you need to know, I am a new guy, and dont know a whole lot. But, they seem to be pretty self-sustaining. they crawl all over everything, eating. There are really no lighting requirements, or special needs. At least I havnt given them any special care.

I have about 40 blue and red hermits in my tank and I dropped about 20-30 empty shells in for them. THey've slowly started using these shells.

Otherwise, i don't do much with my hermits. They scavange the floor which i what i want them to do(clean up crew). They get all the left overs after the fish have fed. THe only hermits that have die on me were actually killed by a malicious rock crab that hitchhiked on my LR. That rock crab has since been removed and i've not seen another dead hermit since. So I don't really think you need to feed them or pay any special attention to them.

Just about every lfs I've been in that sells SW fish have tons of shells that they usually will sell 10 for $1 or less. Just ask, they may even give you a few for free :D

Back
Top Bottom