New Light Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is only a flourescent tube and you will live and learn. and grow algae
TPT people are rolling over in their graves.
5500-8,000 k freshwater and 10,000-22,000k marine.
Say you want links since no one finds them...
This from DFS who we usually laugh at for being under informed.....

The Right K Rating for Your Aquarium
The following guidelines can help you select lighting with a K rating that best duplicates your inhabitants' natural conditions:

• Fish Only Aquarium - Choose a bulb with a spectrum based on your personal preference. A lamp with a low K rating emits redder light and exhibits more vivid colors than a lamp with a higher K rating (emitting bluer light). Normal-output fluorescent bulbs are quite popular.
  • Freshwater Planted Aquarium - Fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs are frequently used to provide the full spectrum range of light (5500°K to 7500°K), most plants require. As a general rule, provide between 2 and 5 watts per gallon.
  • Saltwater Reef Aquarium - Many corals and invertebrates have naturally adapted to bluer light. Therefore, most reef lighting systems include bulbs with a high Kelvin rating. 10000°K to 20000°K are frequently used.

• As I mentioned almost worth laughing at as they still do watts per gallon.
  • But IMO you are going to grow algae,BBA and maybe even every ones fav, cyanno*..!
  • I use [still unfortunately] many marine lights on FW tanks so I am not guessing on this....
I can pull real links on lighting,but they are already here in one of my post?

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

* I know cyanno is a bacteria...A PS bacteria that loves light.....

I've had cyano bacteria, BBA, staghorn, GSA, GDA using daylight fluorescents. Hypothesis can be so easily falsified [emoji4]

A professional aquascaper on UKAPS stated that he used over 50 different types of bulbs/ratings and he couldn't honestly say he noticed any difference in the years he spent aquascaping.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/what-kelvin-is-the-t5-arcadia-plant-pro.11047/

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/actinic-lighting-vs-algae-growth.7801/

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/spectrum-doesnt-matter-does-it.26717/page-2

The majority of the time people just use the bulbs they have been told to use because they read articles like the one you have provided. Gees there are sooo many of them.

In my opinion lighting is not something to get caught up in. I think some people enjoy the confusion because it makes the hobby more interesting, perhaps even a sense of purpose (not aimed at anyone in particular).

Last edited:
Awesome so I will just keep it and have experience with this kind of light as well :) . Might as well find out if its worth it or not... but what i'm really hearing from many websites and people is that light isn't the most important thing to maintain a good planted aquarium... Also the light says its 555 Lumens and 9000 h whatever the h stands for... what do these numbers mean and say? Thanks

Plants readily absorb red light, which is why most aquatic plants are green. Aquatic plants contain coordination complexes (inorganic chemistry and biochemistry subject matter if you are into that), which contributes to plant coloration. As a rule, whatever color absorbed, the color that is emitted is the color across the color wheel (the reflected light).

https://i.imgur.com/yXOxbpn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3fjSihU.jpg

These articles might explain the subject matter better: http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/12/understanding-full-spectrum-aquarium.html?m=1 and http://chem.libretexts.org/Textbook...cture/9.09:_Bonding_in_Coordination_Complexes (scroll to the bottom)

Should I get a power glow? I currently have a aqua glow... and heard power glow is brighter? What do you guys think... Or would the aqueon Floramax be better? I still have time to change my light and I'm wondering what I should do... thanks

Should I get a power glow? I currently have a aqua glow... and heard power glow is brighter? What do you guys think... Or would the aqueon Floramax be better? I still have time to change my light and I'm wondering what I should do... thanks

Stick with what you have.

Man aquariums are so confusing... because I would keep the light I have but at the same time I want my plants to look good and grow fast... so many choices and I don't know what to do lol...

Man aquariums are so confusing... because I would keep the light I have but at the same time I want my plants to look good and grow fast... so many choices and I don't know what to do lol...

I can't help you anymore. I'm afraid I have given you all my opinions and advice on the matter.

Good luck.

Im not trying to stir the pot. But why do you want plants to grow fast. I know alot of people say this. I want healthy plants that grow steadily but not necessarily fast.

I personally dont want to trim every week. Some do and thats fine. Im just saying I think often WE get caught up in the idea that if im growing plants over night im successful. I dont personally believe fast growth defines success.

Brighter doesn't necessarily mean that one bulb is better than the other. A couple years ago when I had a T5 HO light, I went through an extensive research process to find the best quality bulbs that I could find for my setup. Although I liked Giesemann bulbs the best, I found no big difference in plant growth, no big difference in algae growth, etc. Nutrients, CO2, and water changes are major factors for plant health. Different bulbs just give out visual appearances to our eye, and at times, depending on bulb quality, a little better plant growth and coloration. Light becomes a factor when choosing plants--low light, medium light, and high light. For example, Rotala macrandra doesn't grow well in low light, but grows well in high light with many nutrients and a high level of carbon dioxide. Anubias, on the other hand, grows well in low lighting with low nutrient levels and low CO2 (albeit more slowly), but will only grow without algae in high light with high CO2, many nutrients, and in shaded conditions--otherwise it is an algae magnet. I'd advise you to just use trial and error, adjust as needed, research, and do what works for you. No certain bulb or combination of bulbs is the best, but there are combinations of conditions (lighting, CO2, ferts, water flow, types of plants, substrate, amount and types of fish, filtration, water conditions, etc.) that will work well. Some like high tech, fast growing tanks, and others like low maintenance, slow growing tanks (personally I favor this type of planted tank). A planted tank is just like a puzzle.

Alright... I went out and exchanged the aqua glow for a power glow... looks MUUUCHHH better in the tank much more appealing and bright and much higher in the reds than the aqua glow was... what do you guys think about the power glo? Thanks

Alright... I went out and exchanged the aqua glow for a power glow... looks MUUUCHHH better in the tank much more appealing and bright and much higher in the reds than the aqua glow was... what do you guys think about the power glo? Thanks

Never had much to do with it, post up a picture ;)

New Light

Here is the pic of the new light, it looks much more blue and white that the aqua glo did, the aqua glo looked more purple pink, and the power glo is so much more brighter than the aqua glo... I think that was a good choice but am worried I will have an algae spike... what can you guys tell me about it?

Attachments

• DSCF0381.jpg
    DSCF0381.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0380.jpg
    DSCF0380.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0382.jpg
    DSCF0382.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 45
Hello everyone, so I decided to get my aquarium more bright so I removed the lid (the thing that opens to feed the fish), and added another light... so now I got a power glo along with a Aqueon Full Spectrum bulb, is this good lighting for like dwarf hair grass and swords, and will this much light change anything? Will I get an extreme algae boom or will plants grow better? Thanks

Hello everyone, so I decided to get my aquarium more bright so I removed the lid (the thing that opens to feed the fish), and added another light... so now I got a power glo along with a Aqueon Full Spectrum bulb, is this good lighting for like dwarf hair grass and swords, and will this much light change anything? Will I get an extreme algae boom or will plants grow better? Thanks

More light more ferts more carbon(co2) be careful not to go to hard with the lights it will bring on algae if you don't get the balance right

Back
Top Bottom