New member needing help w/Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magictam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone
This is my first time entering the world of saltwater aquarium, though I have had freshwater before. Of course I leaped before I found resources and help so now I’m reaching out for help.

I purchased a 29 gallon Nano tank on September 10th, I can’t remember exact amounts, but I think it came with 20lbs live rock and large bag of live sand. I kept all equipment stock that came with the unit and added a heater temp average between 82-84). Set up tank and added salt water (average specific gravity 1.023-1.024).

Four weeks later, had water tested at aquarium store and they suggested I add snails and crabs and grass, added 10 crabs and 5 snails and a hunk of grass to the back of the tank.
A few weeks later, tested water again, all good, added a Damselfish and a Fire Shrimp (Damselfish died within 2 weeks, Fire Shrimp still going strong) and 2 frags (Toadstool & Goniopora).
Few weeks later, tested water, all good, added mated pair of Maroons and another plant.
Another few weeks, tested water, all good, added a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone and another frag.
Maroons wouldn’t leave the BTA alone. The female would chase the male off.
Noticed a lot of translucent shrimp like thinks crawling in the tank. Aquarium store said this was great. Added a Mandarin Goby.
Have lost a few crabs, added a few more over the weeks.
Snails are multiplying on their own. Didn’t know that was possible.

Did 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks and changed charcoal.
Once a week, rinsed charcoal bag out
Left lights on timer for about 8 hours a day.
Had been feeding fish 2 times a day.

It was looking pretty good. But shortly after the 1st of the year, I noticed that:
There was a lot of green ting in the tank and red slimy algae in small areas. I cut back my lighting to only 4-6 hours a day.
On the 7th, I took in a water sample and this time was told the PH was high but everything else was good. Too only feed once a day and to put my lights back on a timer for 8 hours a day. That's what I did.

Since then, I think my toadstool has died as it’s not blooming anymore. I have to clean the glass daily to keep the green from overtaking the glass and the red slime has returned and is getting larger. The worst part was when I went home for lunch and looked in on the tank; I found a crab eating the BTA.

When I called the store, they told me to remove the BTA but could not offer me any suggestions on what to. FYI everything I’ve purchased for the tank has come from the same store (that I live over 100 miles from and this is the closest store). I’ve never used tap water. I’m reaching out to y’all for any help.
This is what my tank looked like on the 7th, not much improvement, a little less green, but I think it’s because I clean the glass every morning.

Thank you in advance for help or insight.

Hi there. :) Welcome to the forum!

First thing I would suggest is investing about $50 total and getting your own test kits: API saltwater master kit AND a phosphate test kit. Those numbers are very important in trying to figure out what's going on.

if you have minimal corals then cutting back your lighting and feeding is the way to start working on the issue. That and a bunch of water changes. i would do a couple this week and with the combination of cutting back you will see a difference.

The items you want to test for are: nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and hi ph, these tests are all includerd in the API master sw kit by the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom