The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rumor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, new member here also new to tanks, I was told I should post a little info here so here it is:

Setup:
10 gal tank with 50W heater and Elite hush filter.

Stock:
1 male Betta
1 albino rainbow shark

Water conditions:
pH - 6.5-7.0
NH3 - 0
NO3 - 0
NO2 - 0

Welcome to AA! :)

Let us know what the LFS has told you so far so that we can debunk some myths and save you some money (and fishy lives). ;)

Well i had no idea about cycling a tank at first, we got the tank and fish same day, and i only learned later that night about cycling a tank so it was too late by then, I do more research now so hoping to avoid future pitfalls.
We have had the tank running now for 6weeks ish, so I assume it is cycled now, I do 30% PWC every two to three days with a full tank cleaning every 3 weeks, could this account for the 0 readings, also there are only 2 fish in the tank. I had an ammonia spike back at the start then it decreased to 0, the NO3/NO2 have always read 0 though.I use the Aquafin mini master test kit, maybe i am doing the tests wrong?or got bad regent?

PS. I find the instructions with this test kit irritatingly lacking, but then again I could just be slow heh.

Also the scale for nitrates starts at 5mg/L, could it be that there is small amounts just not enough for the test to really show?

i'm not sure about the nitrates being there but not showing on the chart. you have a liquid test kit right?

but i would like to add that the rainbow shark will eventually need a quite larger tank. i would say the minimum would be a 30gal...but as he gets bigger, you should get a 55 gal or bigger.
i think for now you should be fine right now, but def. think about getting a bigger tank soon :D

Reactions: HN1
yes i agree i have an albino rainbow who started in a 10 gal, mine started sitting in a corner with its head up and tail down, im guessing he needed a bigger tank at that point, so i put him in a 65, so just watch for that. good luck :)

Yeah a bigger tank is in the cards, i just wanted to start small/cheap. When I get some free cash i'm going to atleast a 30 would rather have a 40+ though heh

try to go BIGGER if you can :D lol remember, i don't remember whos sig this is in but heres a quote "minimum requirements means minimum happiness" who ever has this in their sig please feel free to take rights of the comment lol

How long should I let the dechlorination stuff work on the new water before i add it to the tank? Could adding the water too soon be stopping my tank from cycling?

Back
Top Bottom