New Reef Stocking Order

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good morning...:)

The day is quickly approaching to start stocking both my nano reef and my 29 reef, however, a question has come to mind. What is the recommended order of stocking?

Fish, corals, inverts
Fish, inverts, corals
Corals, fish/inverts
Stock at will in any order

This takes into account the issue of slow stocking to allow for filtering bacteria to "catch-up" to the increased bio-load.

Thanks

Terese

I think it all depends on your tank. Some people stock inverts (the clean up crew) first and some stock fish first. I opted to start with fish because I didn't have any algae growth for a CUC. I know I could have just supplemented with foods, but I wanted to know that they had something in the tank to eat as well.

You could always start with a small fish, once you are cycled and then decide from there.

I added fish (2 small ones) and a coral the same day then waited a week and a half later for another fish and some corals in my 38g.

Are your tanks cycled or almost cycled?

I waited till my tank was cycled and I added a small fish and some snails (diatoms were horrid), then I just let it sit for a bit and kept adding little by little. :)

I am on day 26 of the cycling (liverock curing). All water parameters are at optimum and have been that way for 8 days now. I do not plan on stocking for another few days but I think I am safe in saying the cycling is completed. I do have some brwon algae growth...too much light I think for now just with the liverock but I was keeping an excited/impatient eye on what was coming back on the liverock and I couldn't resist the light :)

The pieces of liverock that have the algae on them are small and I can gently clean those with my ever present toothbrush without destroying the aquascaping..any algae "infested" pieces are on top of the liverock stack.

I am looking at a yellow clown goby to start off both tanks (the one goby will complete the fish stocking for the 8-gallon) but wasn't sure if I could work a coral or hermit crabs in there at the same time.

Thanks

Terese

you could probably do all of them at once with good water. I wanted a bit on my corals out of sheer paranoia, but you're not going to have much of a bioload with the clown goby, so I wouldn't stress it too much. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Will see what happens. CUC coming for both the 40 (previously a 29, DON'T ask :) ) Water parameters off just a hair but am hoping to do a good RO/DI water water change prior to Saturday's delivery of the CUC. Nitrates and Phosphates are readable but low; calcium is a little low..everything else is optimum.

Back
Top Bottom