New ro/di unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still utterly confused. This is another attempt to upload the diagram.

Attachments

• ro-di_hookup_197.jpg
    ro-di_hookup_197.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 39
It is just holding the water in the tank and running it through a carbon filter prior to you getting it. The 4th stage/RO has to have the waste line open any time you are making filtered water. This is how it removes dissolved solids. Did I answer your question/s? I am not reading this whole post again. :D

this diagram has all water going through the di resin before going to the faucet or the tank. this is bad. i dont under stand because you should no drink di water.

have you tried contacting the manufacture?

See if this helps you. It's the online version of the manual that I used for mine. It appears to be the same / similar system to what you have. Have been up and running for weeks now and works great. My drain line is tapped into the pipe just like the picture, so is continuosly open. Nothing comes out of it except for when the tank is refilling.

http://www.watergeneral.com/support/html/RD100.htm

Finally got an email back from their tech support. This excerpt is cut and pasted. Now, apparently this applies only to THIS particular unit and not the other types most of you have.

Waste drain has to be closed or it will not work. you should open it once every 2 or 3 months for 1/2 an hour to clean out the membrane. when you leave it open it will let water run over the membrane and flush out any residue. this will also prolong the life of the membrane.

So what do you all think?

exactly. the restrictor valve must be closed in order to gain pressure.

still a little confused about the water going through the di resin before going to the faucet. dont drink it.

dorian965 said:
exactly. the restrictor valve must be closed in order to gain pressure.

still a little confused about the water going through the di resin before going to the faucet. dont drink it.
I know what you're saying about not drinking it. But.....the last (6th) stage is activated carbon for taste. The directions even suggest installing a tee and running it to the icemaker (which I could easily do). But whether or not to drink di water is the subject of another discussion. Some say yes and some say no.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

ITS A RESTRICTOR "flush" VALVE. Water still travels through it when it is closed. "closed" is a bad term to use. think of it as on and off. when the flush valve is on (open), the system is flushing. when it is off (closed),ithe system is presurized.
i have heard not to drink. some may not hurt but i dont think a lot would be good. i just think its crazy for all the water to be routed throught the di resin chamber , stage 5.

On this unit the vlave should be closed to create backpressure. I have this same model. This is word for word from the Instruction Manual...

The dischacharge line has to have backpressure or the RO will not work. Most vendors choose the cheap way to create this backpressure by putting a little plastic insert into the discharge line. We have chosen to spend the extra money and buy and mount a manual flushing flow restrictor. The NORMAL POSITION for this switch is at a 90-degree angle to the line.

If your RO unit does not have this type of flow restrictor valve then I would say yes the waste line should be open but on this model with the flow restrictor valve it should be closed to cause backpressure and force the flow through the RO membrane. My tap water has TDS of around 300 in and I am now down to a reading of 9 out of my RO/DI unit with the valve in the closed position. I still have plenty of water coming from my waste line so it is not like closing the valve prevents the waste water from coming out...it still comes out.

Hope this helps....Mark

Adding fuel to the fire. This appears to another ro/di unit very very similar to mine where the waste valve is "CLOSED" or at least parallel to the waste line. http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-110GPD-RO-D...761544812QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Apparently the key to these systems is the auto shut-off valve. When the storage tank becomes fully pressurized the incoming water shuts off as well as the waste flow. When you open the faucet and reduce line pressure the waste valve flow restrictor opens and produces and drains the "bad" water. I'm now convinced my system is working properly. It just confused the hell out of me at first. Everybody says the waste valve HAS to be open, but no, not if if you have the patented flow restrictor valve.

BTW, TDS meter on order! 8)

Back
Top Bottom