New Salt water tank setup question. Total Newb!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to advise I got from members on this site, I have finally decided to go ahead with my salt water tank project. I bought a 125 ga (1/2 inch thick glass with custom stand. It was a bit expensive for a used tank but the tank looks amazing with the custom stand. It included the tank and stand 100lbs of crushed rock, 3 containers of salt, testing materials and chemicals, a used Eheim 2217 and Eheim 2229 and some other misc for $750 CND delivered.

I have a lot of question so I'll break them up.

The stand I bought looks very unique but does not have any cabinets, though it is open on the backside. The seller suggested casters, but I've read mixed reviews on them. I've found some low profile high weight (600+lbs/each) casters. What are your thoughts on this (I'd prefere to keep everything under the stand which is empty)?

I have read a lot about having the largest volume possible and using a seperate tank as a sump seems like a good way to do this but do you guys think I could manage without this?

I know I need a lot of other equipment including live rock, lights,etc so I was considering buying another used set and selling off the parts I don't use. What do you guys think (since it will likely be cheaper than buying seperately)?

Here is the other used system: $1650 CND
150 gallon tank w/starfire glass (24x24x5') - Sell this later
90 gallon tank (sump) (24x24x48") - sell b/c too big to fit?
Ocean Runner Skimmer (aquamedic ocean runner OR3500)
Calcium Reactor (good for 500 gallon tank) - needs new calcium
Coral View Metal Hal-Lights (2-250's) -needs new bulbs
T 5's (2) w/deflector
Live Rock (approx. 200 pounds)
Crushed coral substrate
Power Heads; pumps; heaters; test kit; salt; mixing tank w/float and pump; extra skimmer; plus more

Is this a smart way to go? Or would you guys suggest buying only what I need seperately?

What is your cabinet made of?

The basic structure is reinforeced 2x6. There is a sheet of "dry coral" to finish.
This was a display tank at a local aquarium.

I would go with the 125. 6 ft tank means plenty of swimming room. Here is a good link on equipmet you`ll need.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html

I've read through that link already. My question was weather, based on the Eheim 2217/2229 I got with my current tank, was it more cost effective to buy the other setup just for his lights, protein skimmer, calcium reactor, crushed coral substrate, live rock, powerheads, pumps, etc?

you can buy all that stuff way cheaper than that tank setup. and i would seriously reconsider the crushed coral, as it usually ends up causing nitrate issues a little down the road. You may be able to buy some of that stuff from the seller of the other tank, but imo it would be risky to buy it all and *hope* to sell it again, unless you possibly plan to set up another tank

you can buy all that stuff way cheaper than that tank setup. and i would seriously reconsider the crushed coral, as it usually ends up causing nitrate issues a little down the road. You may be able to buy some of that stuff from the seller of the other tank, but imo it would be risky to buy it all and *hope* to sell it again, unless you possibly plan to set up another tank

Sorry. I meant that this other kit includes live sand versus the rocks I got with my current tank.

Could you guys recommend which components it would be worth buying from him? The lights he had seemed to sell for 1000 online. That plus the live rock made me think it was worth buying the whole kit.

Anyone have any thoughts. I'm supposed to buy this tomorrow.

I can get live rock on craigslist usually for 3 to 5 per pound in the store it is is between 5 and 15 per pound. Look at the rocks to check for aptasia and majano. The substrate is something you might want to consider replacing with sand. Make sure you can get the bulbs locally for the light.

Back
Top Bottom