New Tank: Can't decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushuporker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there everyone. I'm Jess, I'm working on my first planted tank right now. It's only a 20 high and I've never worked with a tank this small before. I think I've got a good idea for aquascaping, but it might be too much. I've got a lava rock cave that I want to cover in dwarf baby tears, some mopani driftwood and java moss to go on top of the hill, and a lowland filled with hair grass. I want to hide some cholla wood in the hair grass for cherry shrimp to hide in. My problem is the fish... I wanted a couple snails, cherry shrimp, corys, and khuli loach. I can't decide on my main fish though. I wanted to attempt german blue rams and dwarf gouramis. I had pairs in my 40 breeder years ago, so I know it can work... But is a 20 high too small for that many fish? I really don't know how to pick between the rams and gouramis. Halp.

I think the tank can handle the bioload, especially if it’s planted and you do large frequent H2O changes and have good filtration. . I’d go with a pair of Honey gouramis. They are beautiful, non-aggressive and will not need the high temperatures that German rams need...which will be too high for many aquarium plants to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom