New tank cycling distractions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandd661

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I spend all evening staring at my tank while repeating "grow little good bacteria grow" in my head; will it make my cycle go faster? Just curious because I seem to do a lot of it. :eyes:

Also, I would like to have some ideas on what to do to stop myself from getting to obsessive with the progress of my new tank fishless cycle. What worked for you? :silly:

If I spend all evening staring at my tank while repeating "grow little good bacteria grow" in my head; will it make my cycle go faster? Just curious because I seem to do a lot of it. :eyes:
Unfortunately, I am afraid what are you doing will have the opposite effect. By referring to it as "little" you are undoubtedly giving it a size complex which will inhibit the growth of your colony.

Also, I would like to have some ideas on what to do to stop myself from getting to obsessive with the progress of my new tank fishless cycle. What worked for you? :silly:
While you are waiting is the perfect time to procure and setup additional tanks at various locations around your residence. If you do not have room you should replace other "useless" items. These items include but are not limited to beds, couches, tables of all sizes, kitchen appliances and desks. Keep dressers, tv stands and other similar items as these can be used house more tanks in a pinch.

Be prepared

You might add another HOB or sponge filters to your tank so you can get all the waiting done at one time when u add another tank to the house u already have a filter for the new tank

How about finding someone that has a tank and get a small piece of their dirty floss or filter and put it into your filter? You'll see your cycle finish in no time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

lol. you are to serious. I'm not complaining about the time it takes. Just looking for something to do while it happens. Kinda funny-ha-ha thread. BTW, Yes, I have seeding in place. :)

dalto got it.

A watched pot never boils. I started off obsessing with my tank but the more I did that it seemed to take forever. Then a few days in there I told myself to not take a reading for a day on purpose and to just basically ignore it. Then it changed! I was stuck with nothing but ammonia forever, but then all of a sudden after ignoring it for a day, nitrites showed up. Then I went back to my usual obsession and nothing seemed to happen. So I skipped another testing. Sure enough, when I came back, nitrites were down to zero! Apparently my tank was shy about growing bacteria while being watched :hide:

During the nitrite phase I pretty much just left it alone for days at a time cuz every day of no changes was driving me mad. Three weeks later it was done!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tank Cycling

Hello jan...

Not sure you knew, but you could have cycled the tank with hardy fish and enjoyed the benefit of having fish in the tank right away. Fish-in tank cycling is an efficient way of going about the nitrogen cycle. It get's a bit of a bad rep because most water keepers don't use the right fish and then don't monitor the tank water properly.

Cycling a tank with fish will give you a steady source of ammonia and you can get through the cycle in a month. You can definitely stare at the tank. This way you have something moving to stare at in the tank.

Just sayin'

B

Back
Top Bottom