New Tank - In COLD conservatory.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cormorin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I had my heated tank (26degC) in the conservatory last year and the amount of condensation running down the glass was ridiculous. Also the 100w heater seemed to struggle heating the tank ! So I moved it into the front room....problem solved. However, now the fish keeping bug has bitten I want another tank but my "better half" won't allow another tank in the house. So the only option is COLD conservatory.....gets to 8degC in winter and 28degC summer with direct sunlight ALL day. Any suggestions ? Here hoping. Ps for those following my initial flurry of threads.....no I won't be stocking with Toby's and rainbows ! :))

I keep my 220g tank in a 3 glass sided sunroom and the tank does get some direct sunlight daily. I do have a separate heating and cooling unit so I can somewhat regulate the temp but it's been known to get cool if we are at in between weather and temps drop low at night. The one thing that helps a lot is the sheer amount of water in the tank. It takes a lot longer to cool or even heat that much water up. Have you considered using a small space heater in colder weather? Something else that helps is I have 3- 300w heaters in the tank and am using 4 Fluval 406 canisters which also help produce heat from their motors. My tank runs around 78 but goes up to 80 in the upper tank levels when my metal halides run and has dropped down to 75 a few nights. I have angels, tetras, barbs, rasboras, threadfin rainbowfish, otos, loaches, and whiptail cats and all have done fine. So my best advice is get the biggest tank you can so water temps can't change so rapidly.

I'm with Rivercats on this one, large tank, multiple heaters if you're going tropical. Another option would be a coldwater tank. You may still need a bit of heat in the winter, but not nearly as much as a tropical tank.

The cold water fish may not do so well tho in summer heat. It's a dual problem which a chiller on the tank would work for hot weather issues.

Thanks all.

Never thought of cold water, assumed only any good for goldfish.....

Coldwater fish can be White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Vietnam White Cloud Mountian Minnows, Hillstream loaches (I have Red Lizard Loaches that are really cool), I know there are a couple barbs and tetra's that handle and actually prefer cooler water. So a little reseach and you might be surprised.

Back
Top Bottom