new tank..need new fish :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vikki.kixx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey y'all we just bought a 29 gallon tank from petco ( on sale for 69.99 after a mail in rebate) we've got it set up and we are in the process of getting it cycled and all that good stuff before we bring home our babies.

we are thinking of making it a tropical semi-aggressive tank. the following are the ones we've fallen in love with. what's ideal for this tank based on y'alls experience..i've been on aqadvisor already but i want more of personal opinion than a computer generated one

bala shark
red-tail shark
rainbow shark
tiger barb
green tiger barb

what should our capacity be? what about putting them together?

IMO a bala shark is too big for your tank, so is the red tail shark, and rainbow shark. The tiger barbs are found to be really aggressive fin nippers, and usually do better in at least a 30 gallon with a school of at least 6(they are usually kept in a specie only tank).
These are some suggestions:
1 gourami
A school of a peaceful tetra(neon, cardinal, serpae, rummy nose, glo lite,etc)
Fancy guppies(instead of the tetras)
3-5 Cory cats
Something like that would work out beautifully :)

Sent from my iPhone

Bala's get waaaaaay too big for a 29 and do best in schools. I do keep one rainbow shark in my 29, but he's smaller than most. They can reach 6" and then should be in a 55. You would have to pick between the redtail and the rainbow, they do not get along. And only 1 of them, 2 of the same will fight as well. Even if they get along at first almost always one starts to dominate the other one and things get ugly. Tiger barbs might work but I personally wouldn't put them in a 29...and they would really limit what else you would be able to add.

we've been reading up on our selection and we may have decided on this:

4 tiger barbs
4 green tiger barbs
5 phantom black tetras
1 small rainbow shark

i put this on AqAdvisor and the only set back that it said would be that the rainbow would possibly get too big.

we've been reading up on our selection and we may have decided on this:

4 tiger barbs
4 green tiger barbs
5 phantom black tetras
1 small rainbow shark

i put this on AqAdvisor and the only set back that it said would be that the rainbow would possibly get too big.

Better but the Tetras can very easily be bullied by the tiger barbs. From what I have seen tiger barbs work best in a large group by themselves they are pretty aggressive fish.

Back
Top Bottom