New tank. Not sure what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooleo589

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had 3 mollies in a 3 gallon tank for a while. I know this is small for mollies but I didn't know about the tank size they needed when I got them. Anyways, today I bought a 10 gallon tank for them. I have cleaned the tank, put water in it, put water conditioner and salt and I'm not sure what to do now. Please help and thank you!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You will need media from the filter in the 3 gallon to place in the filter for the 10 gallon. That media has beneficial bacteria that will lessen your cycle time in your new 10 gallon tank.

Do i need to add fish food to the tank for a few days? I read that's good for cycling because I don't have ammonia but I'm not sure

I also have a fake plant in the 3 gallon would putting it in the 10 without washing it help?

Okay should I leave it in for a few days or would 12 hours be sufficient?

not really. It won't hurt, but the water cycling against that established media is what you need. Old, established media in a filter will grow the beneficial bacteria the fastest. Actually, your filter is a bacteria haven. That is where the magic happens.

Can I add water from my old tank to help also?

Why don't you move the filter and adult mollies from the 3g tank to the 10g tank? That's better than leaving them in the 3g (3x more space) and it will take a while (month?) to establish the BB in the 10g just using flakes as an ammonia source. Plus, it will allow you to move the fry (as mentioned in the other thread) out of the jar/vase and into the 3g.
What filter is currently in the 10g? In the 3g?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am not sure what filters I have but I want to do a fish less cycle so I don't kill them

Back
Top Bottom