New tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightshark

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!
I found a used 45 gallon tank on craigslist and will be picking it up later in the week. It measures 24 x13 x 36. What are your stocking ideas for a tank this size? Also I think I want to do a sand substrate but have never used it before. Any tips? It will be freshwater.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How experienced are you? Are you interested in a planted tank? How high maintenance are you willing to go?

I've been out of the hobby for a few years but would like to try a planted tank. I don't know for sure yet what lights come with this. I'd like the maintenance to be in the middle of the road. I need something to do.

Some good plants would be java fern, anubias, water wisteria, and java moss. Also maybe crypts? I really like zebra danios, gold barbs, or tetras.

Some good plants would be java fern, anubias, water wisteria, and java moss. Also maybe crypts? I really like zebra danios, gold barbs, or tetras.

All these plants sound great for that tank, I'd like to also suggest a type of bacopa. They grow fast and have very little demand for anything. Plants Will also definitely help with the nitrates for less demand for water changes. Lastly, driftwood ALWAYS looks awesome in planted tanks. Good luck!
~Zac

Do you have to do anything special for the plants?

They just need decent lighting, all we listed were not demanding plants. I double t5 ho fixture with 6700k bulbs would be a great set up

That's great! This isn't coming with a filter. What's the best one on a small budget these days?

Is pool filter sand acceptable to use? Is sand in general any more of a challenge than gravel?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tahitian black moon sand is really cool. My plants all grow fine in it, I have Java fern, hornwort, limnophila sessiliflora, Marimo mossball, banana plant, Anubius nana, Amazon sword, and I think red ludwigia.

I used regular PetCo sand, my plants grow fine in it, tons of roots and little plants, and the cory's love it to. For a 45 gallon I'd say for stock:

10 peppered cory's
1 Angelfish
A nice school of Cardinal tetras
6 Marbled Hatchetfish

This may be a little understocked, I'm not sure what else you could fit in there since I only have experience with small fish, but that sounds okay to me.

Nils

I had my 45 stocked with five rainbow fish, three swordtails, and a krib.
They all got along just fine! It wasn't planted though. Only reason I Dont have these fish now is because I moved from Missouri to Arizona and didn't want to haul those fish with me.

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Back
Top Bottom