new tank..small particals.....help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

remora420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i recently got a 55g tank and i have done everything i can short of puting in raw shrimp. it looks clear but when you take a closer look you can see tiny particals floating around. i believe that its from the live rock i put in, but, i also have reason to believe that its undissolved buffer. my ph is good amonea is good nitrite and nitrate need work. ive been puting cycle daily and testing daily. never the less the particles dont settle or dissolve. its been 5 days since i set up the tank. i shut of my ph few hours ago in hopes that it would help everthing settle. if anyone has any suggestions, anything at all, im all ears... thank yoooou!!!!

Welcome to AA. I assume you don't have stock in the tank at this point. 5 days isn't long enough for the excess particles to clear up. Could be anything from not rinsing the sand enough to a bacterial bloom from the cycle.

Turning off the ph will slow not speed up the clearing. What kind of filtration do you have? How many ph do you have and total gph would be helpful also i.e. ph/canister/sump/ect...

I say go ahead and cycle the tank and everything should settle down in the meantime. Here are directions on how to do the cycle

model 75 proaquatics wet/dry w/ prefilter box. protein skimmer. one ph its a rio 2100 i believe that its 692gph at 0ft. if you need other specs let me know. just to let you know i turned it back on but before i did notice that the non of the particals fell they all just floated around is that a indicating factor as to what type of partical it could be.

Sounds good for water flow although you might want to get one more ph for the other side of the tank to keep from getting any dead spots. Floating is typically from sand particals from sand not being rinsed but bacterial blooms will also float. If you're not running your skimmer or wet dry unit yet I would.

Do you have a built in overflow or HOB? How much lr do you have in lbs currently? What type of lighting? Is this going to be fowlr or are you planning for reef?

It should clear within the next week or two at the most. It's fairly common and nothing to worry about either. You can also scoop then up using a fine mesh net to help it clear up.

p.s. Check your inbox for the PM I sent you :D

built in overflow. about 25-30lb of lr. 96watts w/ 2lamps uv bulb and reg light bulb its going to be a fowlr untile the tank matures and i have a enough info on reef aquariums that i can comfortably start one..im in no hurry to start a reef although that is what i would ultimatly like to have.

Back
Top Bottom