new tank, snail came outta nowhere!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usdmej

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

i was given a Fluval Chi 5.5 gallon and decided to do a planted tank. i'm running the stock pump with a fluval 13W light, i put in fluval chi shrimp stratum and planted some dwarf hairgrass. i've been cycling the tank (no live animals) with nutrafin cycle for 3 weeks now. after adding nutrafin plantgro a week ago i was finally noticing some growth but then today i spotted a snail! very small but i have no idea where it came from (only advice housemate could give was, "life always finds a way 0_0")

http://kdo.smugmug.com/Other/uploadpics/i-6vBL3Bw/0/O/DSC_1114.jpg

note it is very very tiny and thats the best pic i could take.

is this a sign of bad things to come? should i remove the snail? i'm not sure what's going on! my original plan was to have the dwarf hairgrass grow into a nice lawn, and then add fish and shrimp.

any advice about the snail is appreciated

Snails hitchhike in on plants. Many times plant growers have snails in their tanks & eggs or very very very tiny snails can be transferred to the buyer. The chances are you probably have more & haven't seen them. I would dispose of the snail. Snail population can be somewhat controlled through not feeding much but you could still have a snail explosion.

People have mixed feelings on snails. If they are kept in check, then let them do their job. But once the population gets out of control, look out! Personally, I strongly dislike them. My 29 gallon is overran with mts. I,along with some assassin snails, am keeping on top of them though. remove it and watch for more.

I'll add when I got my plants Street 3 days I noticed 3 snails in my tank maybe 3 weeks later I counted 37 yes 37 most smaller than a pin head I was ok with just the 3 so now there all gone. Pond snail are a asexual so they'll just pop out eggs no problem.

Pond snails get a bad rep which I think is sad. Keep in mind, the huge population explosions will only happen if you are overfeeding your fish. If they weren't there, then all of that food they eat would just get turned into ammonia.

This was in the middle of a Fishless Cycle. I was just giving my experience with snails

Back
Top Bottom