New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

southernmost

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but after reading a lot of posts I'm asking for some help with a new acquisition. Just got a smoking deal on a 325 gal glass tank and wanted some ideas on stock. Been the big fish route in the past. Red tail cats, zebra shovelnose, pacu, gar,arowana and all kinds of big cichlids .want to turn this tank into a real showpiece. It's a blank slate. Would like to get some ideas. It's a ten foot long tank that's 30" high. Would love some advice on what I can do that would be really unique because I see some of the forum member tanks.

+1 on the giant community idea. Get lots of schooling fish (a handful of species), some bottom feeders, top swimmers and a few larger peaceful fish that wont eat anybody (maybe discus?) and you could have the start of an amazing tank. Plant it well and over time it will grow into a work of art.

As much as I don't really care for them.in small groups.. rainbowfish! Like 4 Schools of 30 would look pretty spectacular. . Than a whole.bunch of clown loaches and one huge gourami or 10 angels.. 15 giant oto cats. A couple royal plecos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I seen on YouTube at a "fish fair" the tetra brand had a large amazon bio type setup. Had a massive school of neons, a few large schools of cories, some angelfish and of course catfish. Had little, if any, plants and a bunch of branched wood that stuck out of the top. It was gorgeous!

I seen on YouTube at a "fish fair" the tetra brand had a large amazon bio type setup. Had a massive school of neons, a few large schools of cories, some angelfish and of course catfish. Had little, if any, plants and a bunch of branched wood that stuck out of the top. It was gorgeous!

I have been wondering about angels with smaller fish like neons... I would be worried that the angels would eat them, but maybe they don't because they are in large schools?

I have been wondering about angels with smaller fish like neons... I would be worried that the angels would eat them, but maybe they don't because they are in large schools?

I know it's their natural prey and I don't have neons with mine either. I know it was a huge tank with a lot of space, and they had like 50-75 neons. I love bio type tanks anyway... :)

Ordered 250 lbs of black coral sand, 150 lbs of large grey stone and 32 cichlid stones. It's a start. Going to be setting up the two wet drys this weekend and have two Rena XL's coming Friday. Once I do the fishless cycle and everything levels out what do you think the max number of Malawi cichlids can be stocked to keep aggression levels down to a minimum, and with a tank this size should I add them at the same time as I want to keep the rescaping at a minimum.done smaller African tanks before but nothing on this scale. Help, don't want to have a bunch of shell shocked fish

Back
Top Bottom