New to non theoretical fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mycomuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am both new to aquariums and forums.

I am a graduate student in an Ecology and Evolution department so I spend a lot of time thinking about the natural world and the creatures in it. Professionally I deal with the mathematics of life, but I do enjoy the real thing too. I have been thinking about getting more life in my home for a while, and for multiple reasons (particularly my two cats) almost all are out of my reach. However, I can have a relatively small fish tank. I am hoping that by joining this forum I can get advice and insight on creating a happy micro ecosystem while maybe sharing my love of nature and some of my knowledge from an ecological and theoretical stand point.

I am particularly interested in having a community tank, because complex interaction are my life, and I love the mathematics of schooling fish. Additionally, I am interested in having a tank that is as close to natural as a glass box can be, while still having happy fish that are not going to eat each other.

I am looking at getting a 15 gallon column tank. The tank is about 24" tall and 14"x13.5" for the foot print.

You may be interested in Goodieds, they are livebearers, but not typical. There are several types that are extinct and most of the others are headed that way rapidly. There is a site, the Goodied Work Group that may interest you. I have had one type or another Goodieds since the 80s and really enjoy observing their complex social behavior.

Welcome and please share your interests and knowledge with the rest of us.

The Goodeids seem interesting, however, I think they will be a bit much for me to start with. In particular it looks like I will not be able to have a big enough tank to have a sufficient number to allow for proper behavior and breeding. I will definitely keep them in mind for the future though. They seem like very interesting fish. Particularly the life history of early maturation, long(ish) lives, large fry and many clutches. Usually, early maturation is associated with shorter lives, fewer clutches and smaller fry, but larger number of young per clutch. I will have to look into what pressures they have that have led to the less common set of traits.

Any other ideas for fish that are relatively easy to care for, can live in a small (15 gallon column) tank, and show interesting behaviors?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom